• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of questions D30HP non-disco axle:

1. The parts place I go has Moog and Raybestos, he said Raybestos now owns Spicer? That doesn't sound right, but in today's globalization I guess it's possible.

2. Removing the old ball joints is kicking my butt. Got the knucles off, am using a Harbor Freight Ball Joint Press and these things won't budge. Is there somthing I'm missing? These don't have a recessed C clip or snap ring do they?

3. Applied lots of PB blaster tonight and will let it sit over night.

Thanks,
Tom

Because of the slight anlge of the nuckle and how hard they are pressed in a Harbor Freight Ball joint press is junk. go to a part store and rent a HD one.

go to an Checker's or similay (auto zone also would work) and rent there ball joint press kit. you will have them out in a few min, just make sure you have a large enough socket for it...

1) Use Moog. I tend to use them, Omix-Ada, or Crown for suspension parts.

2) Don't bother with the HF press - I ended up buying an OTC. Changed all four in the time it took me to seriously bend the HF. Let me know if you want to borrow it - I need enough warning to find the thing.

3) It sometimes helps to put pressure on the joint, then heat up the knuckle. You don't need to make it glow - just warm it up a couple hundred degrees.

Paint never-seez on the outside of the cup before you press the new ones in, and make sure the bore is clean.

i put a little bit of heat on the knuckle.
some pb blaster too.
i ended up buying the jeep dodge ball joint adapter kit for 70$ to press em on.
i was able to use the autozone rental to get them out and a big sledge too. also a friend or two to hold the axle steady really helped

Back