• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Kits

capnpablo

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings All
I'm looking for any input re: clutch kits. Too many for me to choose from! I put NAPA Gold Series in my '89 Cherokee some 12 yrs ago and have been very happy. I have very minimal mods but I do tow. I've been looking at Zoom tow pkg clutch kit and Centerforce I. I don't believe I need any beefier. Any inputs? Thx in advance.

capnpablo
'89 XJ, 4", 33x10.50's, 4.56 gears.

Just this, try not to get one from China. According to me mechanic, LUK is about the only domestically made clutch kit.
I bought a "GM" kit from Rock Auto hoping for domestic, nope "Made in China". It's a bit softer than the original, but it seems to work fine so far.
Don't forget that off road 'slipping and sliding' a clutch without burning it out may be more important than 'hard and fast' engagement.

I've heard bad things about the centerforce clutch's having their sliding weights stick causing all sorts of trouble.

I am too in the same boat and am looking for a solid choice of clutch for mostly street and towing every now and then. Seems to me so far, that they are all basically the same! kind of like cheap brake pads. lots of companies different names, but the final product is about the same. Just my take so far. I think where we will see the difference will be in the construction of the pressure plate. Based on my old car (88' jetta) the clutch material itself on the different clutch kits seemed to be the same, but there was a definite difference in how well made the pressure plate was.

Many thx for the input guys. I believe I'll stick with my gut and what I know to work well. It has been so long since I installed the NAPA I was just curious if anything newer had come out. My old girl doesn't sport a stroker and we don't thrash like we used to. I'm in agreement with the brake mentality, I think NAPA, Autozone, carquest, etc. all offer some level of HD options in the clutch kit. I think best to spend the extra beans on other "projects". (Sure would like to be able to open elec windows again!)

capnpablo

I've heard bad things about the centerforce clutch's having their sliding weights stick causing all sorts of trouble.

I've seen other posts mentioning problems with the Centerforce sliding weights.

First, not all of their covers are of that type, so other options are available.

Second, and just a guess, our XJs are not operated at high enough RPMs to fully "exercise" those sliding weights, so they eventually start to stick. Again, just a guess.

Thx again to all for inputs. FYI. I found smokin' deal on ebay for LUK Pro Gold complete clutch kit. It may be overkill but then again it should handle any towing or "Jeepin" that I will ever undertake. Later.

capnpablo

So, did you instal the Luk Pro Gold clutch kit? And do you like it?

Back