• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Aussie failing "Spin Test"

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
I am looking for anyone who has done one of these installs because (as usual) mine is going very poorly. Everything went together smoothly from the standpoint of installing it into the carrier. Both my pin gap and my center gap were within spec. I didn't have any problem getting the spacers in or the pins and springs. I now have it back in the axle, new axle shafts in place, everything mocked up to do the "Spin Test" but it doesn't pass. I have the vehicle in 4wd, my vacuum disconnect engaged and I had my wife hold the drivers side wheel back against the drive shaft but I can not spin the passenger side in either direction. Has anyone run into this before. I really don't want to have to pull the entire front axle apart again, I've been working on this for almost 10 hours (replaced seals too) and it is getting frustrating to say the least.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If your sure you put everything in right I'd say button it up and drive it. You already have it installed. You'll know very fast if it isn't releasing when no torque is applied. I'd bet it is fine.

So, after putting a locker in, and holding one tire so it can't spin, you try spinning the other tire and its not spinning?

Shouldn't that be the way it supposed to work?

Automatic lockers never let a tire spin slower than the driveshaft, but will allow them to spin faster. That is why with one in the rear going around corners they are unlocked if coasting, but if you get on the gas a bit and get the inside tire to spin just fast enough to match the speed of the inside tire it will lock up. Just FYI.
-Aaron

I found out how to fix the problem.

Step 1: Call it a night and go get cleaned up
Step 2: Take your helper (i.e. wife) out to dinner and discuss how crappy things were going and how the test was supposed to work
Step 3: Let your helper inform you of the fact that "Oh, I was supposed to be turning it the other direction?"
Step 4: Return from dinner and re-test with more explicit instructions.

I guess I'll be buttoning everything back up tomorrow. Thanks for the quick replies.

rofl3.gif
rofl3.gif
rofl3.gif

yep, that's a classic. :roflmao:

glad you got it figured out :thumbup: lol

Back