• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zj questions

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 1997 jeep grand Cherokee with a 5.2. Anything I should know about? It has the factory trans cooler and the motor and trans where rebuilt 3-4k ago. I know the vic sucks. I know it has a lp 30 and 44a with a rear ls my current plans are to swap my np231 use Clayton rear brackets and the four link truss. Poly bushings at one end 7/8 hiems on the other end of the arms and make them to Clayton's lengths use my xj front long arms and just modify the cross member a bit. Stiffen it and Aussie the front. For the rear truss and skid it with the btf cover and slap in some 4.56 gears. I think this is a solid plan, the goal is a mild all around wheeler on 35s

Sounds like you have some good plans for that thing. Similar to my 98 zj. Only major thing I can think of that I did on mine was the plenum plate. Seems to be a chronic issue with the magnum motors.

I also ditched my VIC for a 2wd cubby. Well worth it. Also, if you dont have the cup holder inserts...get them.

Here's a great look at the undercarriage of a well-built ZJ

UJBackyard049_zps5c57cf92.jpg

That was a nice zj I want mine to be alot simpler though maybe at Max a 8.8 swap. I am done for now with a pos jeep I can't wheel when I want to.

with a recent rebuild on a trans in a new-to-you vehicle, i'd seriously consider putting some of you own miles on it before throwing $$ at it to do a bunch of mods just so you have a better idea of the quality of the equipment.
it's such a crap-shoot with ZJ tranys when it comes to longevity. especially when you know it has had work done. it would suck to have a failure once you start beating on it and already sunk your $$ into it.
some last forever with no maintenance, and others fail immediately after a rebuild.
thats my suggestion, good lucj with the new rig.

So you couldn't keep a xj with built axles together on 35's what makes you think a zj with lesser axles will do better?

So you couldn't keep a xj with built axles together on 35's what makes you think a zj with lesser axles will do better?
I finally got it back together. I got pulled over for tire coverage and wailed with inspection. The CT inspection is not gonna let my jeep through because of the axle swaps and the frame repairs done by an uncertified welder.
And yes I do, I am not going to be wheeling like I was. I plan on just having a rig that goes. I miss how my Cherokee was on the 34s just turn the key and go. On the bronco front and trooper rear it was all down hill.

Back