• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ question

sullju

NAXJA Forum User
Well I posted this over at NAGCA and am not getting the responses I need. Tell me what ya'll think.

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:15 am Post subject: Factory alarm ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I recently inherited a '95 ZJ limited 2wd from my mother (she bought an Unlimited). The factory stereo went out and I was attempting to install a Pioneer deck in its place. After "completing" the install I turned the Jeep over and there was no sound, no display, nothing at all. Well, I shut it down, and was about to tear into it again when I noticed a clicking noise coming from behind the glovebox. Sounds like the flashers are on, but alot faster tempo.

The power door locks or the keyless won't work with the door open, but if you roll the window down and close the door they will. I noticed after I did the install that the radio fuse was blown. I replaced this but still nothing. Another thing, I've lost all of the interior map lights and door lights, except for the the light on the inside rear hatch. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Justin

do you know of a way to fix it? I checked the fuses but cannot find anything. I hooked ground to ground, so I can run the Infinity system that the Jeep is equipped with. Other than that I've got no clue as to why it's acting up.

Same opinion. Most probably you inverted polarity while conecting your stereo look at the fuse for light system you probably blow it too.

I hope you dont have any damage yuor the stereo.

I blew the radio fuse and have since replaced it, haven't checked the light fuse yet. The wierd thing is when I turn the Jeep off the Pioneer deck will still chime to remind me to remove the faceplate. There's just no sound or display at all.

sullju said:
I blew the radio fuse and have since replaced it, haven't checked the light fuse yet. The wierd thing is when I turn the Jeep off the Pioneer deck will still chime to remind me to remove the faceplate. There's just no sound or display at all.

chime in the stereo is done as cut of energy after being energized before (turning keys off), Have you double check how do you energized the stereo? I am guessing this is a wrong polarity problem

No haven't done that yet, I reinstalled the factory stereo, even though it doesn't work to see of it was in fact my wiring that messed it up and the clicking resumed. I just went outside and removed the fuse for the interior lights and the clicking stopped. Now I dont have A/C or the Message center display. What gives? I didn't think the A/C and message center would be on the same line as the interior lights. Thanks for the responses.

Justin

Also, you could´ve created a short cut will installing the stereo. I will suggest to review cables close to stereo, one of them could be parcially at ground.

are you familiar with the ZJ wiring harness? I would assume it's similar to the XJ, but the Pioneer deck I was installing came out of my '89 XJ and I installed it then with no problems. I'll go check the harness and post up in a min.

Pioneer Wiring harness:

Yellow->Battery
Yellow/BLk strp->?
Black->Ground
Red->ACC/Ignition
Orange/Wht Strp->Illumination
Blue/Wht Strp-> System Remote Control

Car wiring harness:

Black->Ground
Red-> ACC/Ignition
Orange->Illumination
Orange/Wht Strp-> Positive Dimmer
Yellow->Battery
Blue-> Power Antenna

And of course the 8 wires each fot the speakers. Could somone be so kind and enlighten me to the proper connections that need to be made to make this work. Thanks.

Justin

I am guessing these wiring connection come out of the manuals. I am not familiar to ZJ but anyway if you have them identified like this, you should not have any problems. just be careful with Orange/Wht Strp->Illumination (This must go to the lights dimmer control). I will place it like this.

Pioneer- OEM
Red to Red
Yellow to Yellow
black to Black
Orange/Wht to Orange/Wht

Do you have the manual for the Pioneer? Review about Blue/Wht Strp-> System Remote Control and Yellow/BLk strp->?, to find out exactly what they are.

No manual bought it used. That's the way I wired it but no luck. I did notice that a couple of the wires were exposed, I think it was the red and couple of the speaker wires, could this have something to do with grounding it out. Or is it just the 12 volt constant(yellow) wire that would matter? Also, any ideas on whats causing the lights and A/C to go out?

It is possible that red and speaker may ground. The AC and lights may go out because of the shortcut, if it is actually going even with a fuse gone may cause low voltage and light and AC won't work, Specially ACC.

I will suggest to reconected again but leave it out to check, do not plce it in the deck, this way you can check better before putting in place.

Allright I'm heading out to check it right now. Would the System Remote Control wire be used to control and external amp? Also the blue wire from the car wiring harness for the power antenna, wher would that connect to the pioneer harness? The Zj has a power antenna even though it's not funtioning, would it be safe to leave this wire unattached?

If the power antenna is not working, leave this wire off, just tape it is neccesary, there is no reason to conect it if it is not working and I says it will be better this way.

I guess System Remote control is to be used to energize an ext amp. while the stereo is turn on if you have it connect it like that (but initially leave it out, just to confirm that this is not giving you troubles)

I left everything off and double taped the wires and still nothing, the clicking resumed. I talked to my mechanic and he thinks the factory alram was tripped and that's the reason for the problems I've been having. I also tried reseting the computer but no results on that either.

I would consider buying a factory wiring harness adapter, it makes installation a breeze. You just match up the color coded wires, put on some connectors and plug it in. You can do 90% of the work outside of the Jeep which makes it much easier. They're less than $10, just specify that you have the Infiniti system.

Just a suggestion

I spoke with my mechanic and he thinks that the factory alarm was tripped during the install. Could have been, although my A/C and message center not working leads me to believe that something else was "blown" in some way. Any clues as to what is related to these?

i think your mechanic is feeding you a line of bull. the alarm would cause your jeep not to start, but shouldnt cause any of problems you listed. you can pull the fuse to disable it too just to check. which i would, just incase my line is bs too. anyway post the model # of the cd and i'll try to find some more info on those wires for you. i'm going to see if i can find anything on the factory wiring colors with the infinty system. i had a 93 plymouth van with infinity system in it before my xj, and i had a jvc deck in it without any problems.

Pioneer DEH-P3600

I spoke to him over the phone, as the ZJ is awaiting trackbars to move, and that was the best info he had to me at the time. I'm guessing that because the interior lights fuse is the one that seems to deal with the clicking, then it would have something to do with this. Would this fuse control the A/C display and the Message Center? The A/C is all digital so I would assume that if the display no longer worked then A/C function would stop as well.

Thanks

Justin

Back