• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your opinion on making a ford 9" front axel

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
This is funny on so many levels.

Ben, you just can't resist, can you?

Just because you like to hang out at Jack's place doesn't come close to making you an axle expert. The proof is in running them, and unless you have some real world, on the trail personal experience with both products, or personally know someone who does, you really don't have anything to say.

There is plenty of room in the marketplace for more than one good vendor making and selling quality parts. Jack's stuff is good, and everyone knows it. Plenty of people are totally satisfied with Bobby Long's stuff, and until we start seeing pics of his D60 Birfields exploded there really isn't anything negative anyone can say..........at least not based on fact.

Goatman said:
Ben, you just can't resist, can you?
i really cant :D

as long as there are people to stir me up.

i was eluding to the fact that it is actually bobby longs product.....

he tasks out his product to another comapny....

that clicking ball was enough to keep me away from his products....

well and the galling u-joints caps too..

ill stop now.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
i really cant :D

as long as there are people to stir me up.
i was eluding to the fact that it is actually bobby longs product.....
he tasks out his product to another comapny....
that clicking ball was enough to keep me away from his products....
well and the galling u-joints caps too..
ill stop now.

I don't know why so many people tend to get stirred up much at all about this, seriously. I've known people who have killed CTM's, so its not like they're untouchable (which we all know anyways). For the price, Longfield joints are a great thing IMO. Hell 99% of the people on this board wouldn't be able to come close to breaking a longfield, let alone a CTM. I'll be running Longfields in my D60 when it comes time, since they're cheaper, and he offers a lifetime warranty as well. I know you have some sort of loyalty toward CTM, and Jack is a great guy...but that's no reason to start foul mouthing Longfields. Pirate recently had a poll on both of them, and it seemed to be about 50/50 with them. Not sure if you have seen the new Longfield Birfield CV setup? Inner and outers made of 300M, ball of 4340, can turn up to 45* with no loss in strength, now thats some innovation. Pricey yes, but a nice setup either way.

Last edited:
Isnt it also true that the CV dont ramp up then slow down? The CV is a consistent speed, if you're doing 10mph its a consistent 10MPH at both wheels no matter the turning degree. With a Ujoint setup and the ramp up and down speed it does seem as though that would cycle forces on the ujoint to more then the opposite wheel then less and more and less....

I would be happy with either/or I am sure, but seeing as the cost of either is typically out of my range for a item that is super overkill and I am used to barely adequate stuff, I will live with spicer. And be happy I am sure.

My buddys Jeep has 9inch axles front & rear That he built. I can get you in touch with him so you can pick his brain on the build if you would like. Only problem I know he has had with the front axle in the 11 years is one broken hub.. Sorry this is the only pic I have it.

IMG_0037.jpg

freerider15 said:
I don't know why so many people tend to get stirred up

lets take tow rigs for an example.

some dudes like chevy, for that allison trans, some like dodge for the cummins, some like nissan......and we all make fun of them.

some think long makes a better product some think jack....

both sides are throughly convinced.

ive seen enough broken 300m to make me wanna stay 4340.

im just really biased cause i live down the street from jacks shop.

I am plannin on this. I have talked to currie about theres and in all respects it would be a stout axle for a modest build, 35s is what I call a modest build, dont know if it would take 44s or somthing, dont care. I plan on it. I will however if I do it just order the housing from currie or the spider 9. I will do the rest. with that in mind I am simply going to contact both and find out who will charge me the lease for a housing with brackets installed with the inner cs on and ready to go. I will probably use Dana 44 outers, dont see the need to run dana 60s but I may decide otherwise.

twisted_ed said:
I will probably use Dana 44 outers, dont see the need to run dana 60s but I may decide otherwise.

What a Waste of time and effort IMO..

But then again, IF you went D60 inner C's then currie would not even offer ya a semi decent price build. They only do new ball joint outer stuff and that crap (ok good crap) adds up fast!

If your serious, why not consider the rockjock? Its about the same price, few hundred more and you get a true high pinion that can take lower then 4 series gears, dont have to buy a 3rd member for, and is a stronger housing (IMO) then the reg ole 9" housing. PM if you want more info on it or such.

FWIW, you can do your much smaller and cheaper D44 inner C's and out on the RJ, thats how most are built/asked for, believe it or not :twak:

Last edited:
ROBERTK said:
What a Waste of time and effort IMO..

But then again, IF you went D60 inner C's then currie would not even offer ya a semi decent price build. They only do new ball joint outer stuff and that crap (ok good crap) adds up fast!

If your serious, why not consider the rockjock? Its about the same price, few hundred more and you get a true high pinion that can take lower then 4 series gears, dont have to buy a 3rd member for, and is a stronger housing (IMO) then the reg ole 9" housing. PM if you want more info on it or such.

FWIW, you can do your much smaller and cheaper D44 inner C's and out on the RJ, thats how most are built/asked for, believe it or not :twak:

What is your experience with D44 outers that makes you think they're a waste of time & effort? D60's cost a lot more, take up a lot more room & are not needed for many/most. In the 2 years that I've been running my 44/9 with 37's I've probably put close to 100 Hammer trails under it, in this time I've broken 1 inner axle & 1 drive flange, I hardly call that a waste. I'd be more inclinded to say the 6G that I've spent building my 60/9 is a waste of money, especially now that I feel like I have to jump to 4D's just to justify the $$$ I've thrown at it.

I'd call the Rock Jock a waste of money, especially if you combine it with king pins. If you're going to spend the money on new/custom 60 stuff, spend an extra $500 & get a True Hi9 & unit bearings (which dictate ball joints).
:moon:

P

In my opinion, if you are going to run 44 outers, then run a Dana 44. No since in having custom inner shafts for a stronger ring and pinion.

Rockslut said:
In my opinion, if you are going to run 44 outers, then run a Dana 44. No since in having custom inner shafts for a stronger ring and pinion.

A 44/9 is lighter, has stronger inner axles, & has a higher pinion (not that any of these are enough to matter).
But, I don't think custom length inners are any more $ than standard (Waggy)length inners, if they are it's so small an amount that it doesn't factor in.

P

Paul S said:
Currie housing & HP 3rd, Warn axles, drive flanges' & CTM's.

P

Hi9? Or currie?

if hi 9 then your seriously goinng to tell me that you would not have built a RJHP60 with all kingpin outer stuff for only about 300-500$ more when comparing apples to apples in the rest of the parts, if it was the case when you built this axle?

Paul S said:
What is your experience with D44 outers that makes you think they're a waste of time & effort? D60's cost a lot more, take up a lot more room & are not needed for many/most. In the 2 years that I've been running my 44/9 with 37's I've probably put close to 100 Hammer trails under it, in this time I've broken 1 inner axle & 1 drive flange, I hardly call that a waste. I'd be more inclinded to say the 6G that I've spent building my 60/9 is a waste of money, especially now that I feel like I have to jump to 4D's just to justify the $$$ I've thrown at it.

I'd call the Rock Jock a waste of money, especially if you combine it with king pins. If you're going to spend the money on new/custom 60 stuff, spend an extra $500 & get a True Hi9 & unit bearings (which dictate ball joints).
:moon:

P

I wasnt goingn to reply since I Dont have any experience with the 44. But there are a few things you said that are not true that should be pointed out.

The RJ 60 has better clearance the the Currie 9" housing at the diff section. cost alot more? Not if your doing a hi9 and if your not then your limited to I think 4:88? and you have a signifiacantly smaller R&P then 60 but larger or better phrased, more room hogging housing.

As for waste of money, I am not sayingn that a D44 is one, just that if you now have the option to go to a RJ60 for only slight bit more $ then I feel its a waste not to just go all the way, but I truely know nothing Yet in this matter. it just seems to make sence, saying so...

ROBERTK said:
I wasnt goingn to reply since I Dont have any experience with the 44. But there are a few things you said that are not true that should be pointed out.

The RJ 60 has better clearance the the Currie 9" housing at the diff section. cost alot more? Not if your doing a hi9 and if your not then your limited to I think 4:88? and you have a signifiacantly smaller R&P then 60 but larger or better phrased, more room hogging housing.

As for waste of money, I am not sayingn that a D44 is one, just that if you now have the option to go to a RJ60 for only slight bit more $ then I feel its a waste not to just go all the way, but I truely know nothing Yet in this matter. it just seems to make sence, saying so...

I said nothing that isn't true, subjective maybe, but not untrue. At least I have experience with the thread subject to be objective in my subjectivity.

I never said the RJ cost more, to the contrary, I said if you're going to spend big $ on a new 60, such as the RJ, why not spend a few $ more & go with a 609. I also said that if you're going to buy all new stuff, why not spend a few $ more & get unit bearings.

In regards to clearance under the diff., I don't know if the RJ or the shaved 9 has more clearance, I'm sure they are very close, I'd bet on the 9 having more clearance. Having built a 9, I can tell you that it has tons of clearance on top of the diff., & being all steel it is much easier to Fab. on.

P

Back