• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You know you own/drive a XJ when...

when you know the biggest tire(30x9.50) you can fit without a lift, but decide to bump it up to 31x10.50 instead. and remove sheet metal to make up the difference.

You know the absolute largest tire you can run on stock suspension off the top of your head
(235 75 r15)
NO! You can run 33's on no lift if you want but cutting will be in order! :D

[FONT=&quot]11.) [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]If you have ever looked up your state laws to see if it is legal for your XJ to go door-less.
[/FONT]

If you have ever run across a local cops wife at the store who asked if running w/o doors was legal and you said "yep, as long as it has a side mirror, ask your husband"... then you saw her a week later and she said "he couldn't come up with anything"

...it always turns over for 5 seconds before it starts.

As my buddy said tonight "It knows to turn over for a bit and lubricate all the important parts before starting, it's a high performance machine"

...you tear up when you sell her because you are gonna MISS busting off the temperature sensor every other time you do an oil change.....

you lift up the seat to grap a jack and you find old moldy cheerios from the p/o's kids

Yup. I bought my shiny, pristine, '96 5-Speed 2-door in May of '99 when I was young, single, and would never have kids. And now, my 22 month old daughter (best kid in the world, of course) loves riding in "da Jeep" and somehow getting Cheerios buried under the rear seat, even though her arms aren't long enough to reach from up on her car seat.

And yes, a '96 2-door XJ + 5" lift + 33s + car seat is not an ideal combo. But Lilly and I love it.

when...

...although not a practicing MD nor did you stay at a holiday inn express last night, you can easily identify patients who are afflicted with a serious issue known as 'JeepCherokee-itis,' or 'XJ-itis' (XJI for short). this issue is a very serious one that seems to affect more men than women in just about every adult age group. this condition has multiple stages and may be extremely difficult to diagnose in the early stages and may be extremely contagious.

the onset of the first stage of XJI is usually marked by the purchase of an XJ. at this stage the affected may not realize that they have it. the purchase need not be any one "type" of XJ specifically, but my range anything from 84-01 model years with engines from 4 cylinder, V6, or I6, auto or standard trans, 2 or 4 door, 2 wheel drive or 4x4, all with varying options. at this stage, it may be impossible to distinguish the difference from one who is affected from a soccer mom driving a Cherokee.

once in the second stage diagnosis of XJI becomes a little easier. this stage is marked by the onset of modifications to the patients XJ. these stage two mods are usually the first in depth mods that the patient experiences such as lift kits and rims/tires. most typically remain relatively small by comparison to those who are in later stages of XJI- ex: 2" BB, 31" tires etc. this is also the stage that many unknowingly enter into support groups for XJI "sufferers" known as jeep clubs such as NAXJA. entering into these groups exposes the patient to people who are much more contagious than they are and can accelerate the progression into later stages. the patient also goes to social gatherings with other affected persons known as "meet and greet, wrench-a-thon, runs, and wheeling." during these times the XJ is at the most risk and is prone to breaking, wrenching, modifications, and experiencing damage or carnage, but are usually minor issues. personal injury is possible while working on the patients XJ in this stage and all subsequent stages.

the third stage of XJI is sometimes referred to as the "swap" stage. as such, this stage is marked by parts/equipment swaps on the patients XJ. some of these swaps may include seats, interior/exterior components, axles and tc's. at this stage the patient may also experience an increased urge to progress to the next stage or may stay in this stage for quite a while. if the third stage is maintained for an extended period of time, one may believe XJI to be in remission, but it may come back with vengeance. the first three stages are considered to be minor. some weight gain may be noticed in the XJ typically from such causes like rock rails, skids and diff protection.

the fourth stage is where XJI becomes moderate and my have a greater impact on the patients life and his/her XJ. this stage is marked most frequently by slight weight loss on the XJ, typically from some sheet metal removal. the fenders are usually the first part of the xj to see weight loss. sometimes followed by the hood in preparation for hood vents, rear quarter panel (tuck and fold) and possibly trail doors or even removing the stock doors in more severe cases. weight loss may be a direct result of damage and repair/prevention.

in stage 5 XJI becomes severe. the XJ may experience brief weight loss followed by sizable weight gain. this can be from removing stock or aftermarket parts and replacing them with "beefier" components. this may include better rock rails, rocker replacement, front winch or non winch bumper, rear bumper possibly with tire carrier, and axles. tire size is also known to increase possibly leading the patient to have an inflated ego when ever he 'airs down.' lockers and deeper gears may also be encountered in this stage.

it is less common for people to venture into stage 6 as it is more intense. rarely does the patient experience anything bolt on in/past this stage. this stage is marked by terms such as: custom, fabbed, fabrication, weld, cut, Sawzall, grinder, torch, tube and bender. the patient feels the insatiable urge to surround themselves with an object known as a "cage" in hopes of grater safety and security when in their XJ. in this stage parts grow larger and stronger yet there is an increased chance of breakage. by now personal injury while working on/ around the XJ is less common but is still possible.

the final stage is stage 7. the least amount of people exposed to XJI make it to this stage. by now the patents XJ may no longer resemble an XJ but more of a mysterious machine called a buggy. roll overs are common and so is mechanical damage. by now the patients significant other has learned to just deal with the jeep thing and XJI, or has moved on as result of it.

the patient does not need to progress specifically from one stage to the next but may go back and forth from stage to stage at random intervals or may skip a stage(s) altogether. in any/all stages the patient may assist with the established support groups and activities for currency known as beer and pizza. such currency is highly regarded by people affected with XJI though why is not yet known. work may be preformed in exchange for other currency such as jeep parts or services may be traded like welding or gears.

there is no known cure for XJI, and none is currently being pursued. the only known prevention of XJI is to be a "ricer," own a hybrid, or be obsessed with fat chicks (they can not jump to get into the XJ).

and how is it you are able to identify a person with XJI so quickly? because you "suffer" from it too! (or at least your jeep does).

the final stage is stage 7. the least amount of people exposed to XJI make it to this stage. by now the patents XJ may no longer resemble an XJ but more of a mysterious machine called a buggy. roll overs are common and so is mechanical damage. by now the patients significant other has learned to just deal with the jeep thing and XJI, or has moved on as result of it.

I can think of a few guys in stage 7! :roll:

when...

...although not a practicing MD nor did you stay at a holiday inn express last night, you can easily identify patients who are afflicted with a serious issue known as 'JeepCherokee-itis,' or 'XJ-itis' (XJI for short). this issue is a very serious one that seems to affect more men than women in just about every adult age group. this condition has multiple stages and may be extremely difficult to diagnose in the early stages and may be extremely contagious.

the onset of the first stage of XJI is usually marked by the purchase of an XJ. at this stage the affected may not realize that they have it. the purchase need not be any one "type" of XJ specifically, but my range anything from 84-01 model years with engines from 4 cylinder, V6, or I6, auto or standard trans, 2 or 4 door, 2 wheel drive or 4x4, all with varying options. at this stage, it may be impossible to distinguish the difference from one who is affected from a soccer mom driving a Cherokee.
I am currently stuck w/ the first stage of XJI and hope that will quickly be remedied.. although might have to dable in the 2nd stage in order for that to occur... darn this illness keeps going.... but not followed by any discomfort or itching.....

darn this illness keeps going.... but not followed by any discomfort or itching.....

You'll end up with some discomfort at some point (bruises, burns, pinched fingers, pinched wallet). However, if it starts to burn when you pee, that's a different disease, and please don't ask us for help then!

You'll end up with some discomfort at some point (bruises, burns, pinched fingers, pinched wallet). However, if it starts to burn when you pee, that's a different disease, and please don't ask us for help then!

i have the jeep thing, and now it burns when i pee!!

Back