• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You guys who have dogs

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
Where did you get them?!

Wife and I are starting the hunt for a puppy.

Something small, I would love a Weiner dog. The way I see it, its the most 'manly' small dog!

So, where the heck did you get your pup?!

J

All of our pets have been rescue animals. Personal preference and belief - we're not fans of for-profit breeders.

We've adopted from Denver Dumb Friends League, Every Creature Counts (Pet Smart stores), Max Fund are ones we've adopted from. We got our current Shepherd from a Pit Bull Rescue in Longmont who's proprietors found him chained up in a yard at 4 Mos old.....

We have bought 2 dogs, one off Craigslist from a farm in Greeley where the dog ate 42 chickens and one dog we got from a breaded advertising on Craigslist.

Dogs suck.

Shelter dogs, one from Foothills, one from Longmont, one from Aurora. The last two dogs, we had to go through a screening process.

Three from shelters, one off craigslist from a private party, not a breeder.

All of our pets have been rescue animals. Personal preference and belief - we're not fans of for-profit breeders.

We've adopted from Denver Dumb Friends League, Every Creature Counts (Pet Smart stores), Max Fund are ones we've adopted from. We got our current Shepherd from a Pit Bull Rescue in Longmont who's proprietors found him chained up in a yard at 4 Mos old.....
Totally, don't get one from a breeder! So many awesome rescue dogs that need a home. We got a (we think) 2 yearold pit/Mastiff from a adoption/rescue and she's been the biggest sweetheart to us and the kids ever. Breeders make me sick.

So with rescue its just luck of the draw on what they'll have.

Well I don't know what Colorado is like but here in LA the shelters are overwhelmed. Every time we went my wife wanted to leave with at least 2 dogs but I was hesitant and being a little picky because (after out old dog died) I was happy not cleaning up dog shit from the back yard. I just ask you look at a couple shelters before going to the mall or a breeder.

So with rescue its just luck of the draw on what they'll have.

At general shelters/adoption kennels, yes, very random selection.

If you already know what breed(s) you're interested in, google that breed and "rescue" or "association" and you'll get a list of places that rescue that specific breed.

Places like the Denver Dumb Friends League and Max Fund belong to a network and they can search breeds available at multiple shelters/kennels.

Got one of mine from the Boulder Humane Society. I was keeping an eye on their website, as they list everything that they have available with pics. I wouldn't trust the breed descriptions, as I thought I was going to look at a rottweilier mix with shepherd coloring, but he's pretty much all shepherd. The second came from my girlfriend's work; she works at a doggy daycare ranch that also houses rescue dogs from high kill shelters around the country. She was actually just fostering him, and he formed a pretty inseparable bond with my first, so that was that. If you have some specific breeds I can ask that she keep an eye out.

There are pros and cons either way you decide to go. My sons dog was a rescue and he comes with a whole slew of issues. He was severely abused and neglected and shot with a shotgun. He still has a lot of pellets in him. He turned out to be a great dog and lives with us now.

My wifes boxer, Lexi was purchased from an unscrupulous breeder out of Alamosa. He sold us the dog at five weeks, we had no idea the dog needed to be at least 8 weeks old before being sold to us. Although Lexie is a wonderful dog with a great disposition she also has developed dysplasia at just over two years of age. She can't run around like she could when she was a puppy and some nights she can't even climb up a few stairs to get into her kennel, I have to carry her. You can see she's in a lot of pain and it just breaks my heart.

My boxer samson was purchased from a very reputable local breeder and he is a wonderful dog full of energy and as of this date he has no health issues whatsoever. Both his parents were AKC Boxers.

Intersting.

So I think we have landed on getting a Dachshund (Wiener dog).

Obviously I would prefer a puppy.

I found a group called Denver Dachshund which seems like a good option, but it will be a hit or miss to find one that we want.

So if you guys hear of anything, let me know!

Beagles SUCK. I know they're affectionate and all, but I live next to 2 Beagles and all they friggin do is bark and howl. All gawdamn day when they're out. Then they yelp at night begging to be let in. If they get out of the yard or out the front door...... they run until they disappear over the horizon and then all I hear is their owner bellowing they're gawdamn names "Rocky! Rosey! Get back here!"

Eff Beagles.

I've met both nice and nasty Dachshunds..... They can be well behaved and quiet, and they can be noisy ankle biters.

Aussie Cattle Dogs and Aussie Shepherds........ now THOSE are awesome dogs. Cattle dogs can be very protective of their property and owners, but loyal and obedient to a fault. Aussie Shepherds traditionally have great dispositions and are great off-lead dogs, also a great dog for loyalty and obedience.

Agreed, Aussies are great dogs. I had one many years ago but had to re-done him when I got laid-off.

Daniel's dog Sawyer is part Aussie Sheepdog and part Rottweiler. He's well mannered, loveable and isn't a pet at all....he's family.

352luaf.jpg

The problem with little dogs has a lot to do with the owners, IMHO. They don't socialize them, or train them. Wieners, like any dog bred for looks, can be iffy. We had a pound puppy chocolate lab, a great dog that required training and a pincer collar to learn from. Our labradoodle required lots of training, socializing, and lots of time with the pincer collar. Dogs have to know who is boss. People with little dogs tend to let them be in charge, because they're easy to ignore. If we had let Blanco have his way, he'd knock every single person through the door on their back, and lick their face. He's still pretty annoying, but he hasn't broken anyone's bones, thankfully. :)

This is based on my observations from walking Blanco everyday for the last four years in the park with lots of other dogs around. Very few people with larger dogs were ever a problem, while quite a few people who had small dogs were a problem. I highly recommend spending time with a professional trainer in a group training situation.

I can't stand Aussie cattle dogs. I don't like pushy people, let alone pushy dogs. They have a hard time with Blanco. He doesn't push well, also.

Back