• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ slip yoke vs SYE help...

XJ99 said:
Its a 99XJ sport, d30+8.25

getin ready to Install my 4.5" Lift, I currently am running 3" Lift and have a 1"TC drop...(lil vibes and wobbles here and there nothing to serious)....my question is, what ways can I avoid spending 500 on an SYE and DS? I was looking around and saw that I might be able to run a combination of a YJ slip yoke (about 50 bucks) and my current 1" TC drop for the 4.5" Lift and I will have no vibes or wobbles....I will be running TJ flares and 33x12.50's (hopefully no rubs)....what do you think?
can I get by with the 1" longer YJ slip yoke and the 1"tcase drop and avoid the new SYE and DS or am I Just wasting time and money....

If it wasn't obviouse before, it had better be by now. The origninal post is for a 99xj with vibes on a 3" lift (already shimed and transfer case drop). Like I and others have already said the YJ yoke is not going to cure anything for you with a 4.5" lift. There is a huge difference in the output shafts from a pre 96 and post 96 xj. The post 96 xj's need SYE's at much lower lifts than pre 96's.

The YJ yoke is a much better yoke than the stock XJ, the length has almost nothing to do with improving vibrations.

Rocketman said:
It get old sometimes guys!!!

"Forget it and get the SYE"

I hear that so much but you know what??

NOT EVERYONE can lay out the coin for the SYE and NEW driveshaft. Many of us are lucky we have our lifts!

But you laid down the coin to lift it more knowing full well that you couldn't afford the required accessoriess to do it right?

NOT EVERYONE feels comfortable wrenching out their transfer case, especially on your DD. When you've A: never done it before and B: probably don't have all the tools you should have or a comfortable location to do it! (more $$$)

That's what places like NAXJA are for. Post in your chapter, get to know the people. A great number of them have already done what you are trying to do and most will offer assistance and alot of time working space and tools

NOT EVERYONE's XJ is the sole purpose of their existance. I have "other" hobbies as well as a huge mortgage, 2 little kids, a wife that works midnight shift as a nurse, etc... etc... ( I know, so does everyone else)

So you half ass things to get it all in?

I like my Jeep. I think it looks cool, I LOVE 4 wheeling. I like the satisfaction of wrenching something I've never done, and it WORKS afterwords.

Then what is the point of everything you just typed?

I DREAD the idea of tearing into my XJ, possibly hosing something up and since it's my DD, having to pay someone anyway to fix my screw-up. Not counting the $$$ for the tow to the shop!!

We all do, get over it, stuff happens

I enjoy reading this forum, and have learned so much, but don't be so quick in expending other peoples time and money when offering up advice and opinions.

We are giving the best advice we can, what you decide to do is up to you. I did not tell the guy to run out and get a SYE right now. I told him that a YJ slip yoke is not worth his time and in no way compares to the result of a SYE, which is the RIGHT way to do it. They make the kits for a reason, not vanity................:rolleyes:

Sorry about that, but I had to vent............ :pig:

it measures at about 31-32 inches in the center of the spline part from u joint center to u joint center. With 4-6 inches of lift im sure it would work perfect. You can always get the manual front shaft which runs 28 inches in the center of splines if u ever wanted to go back to stock height.

Bmxpunk1369 said:
it measures at about 31-32 inches in the center of the spline part from u joint center to u joint center. With 4-6 inches of lift im sure it would work perfect. You can always get the manual front shaft which runs 28 inches in the center of splines if u ever wanted to go back to stock height.
so its only long enough on automatics???

Let me clarify...

Point was, sure, I should have planned better, saved the money, etc... BUT I didn't so next best step, considering my funds and time would be??
That's basically it.

NO I try not to do anything "half-assed" but the quality of all our efforts are affected by outside factors. Money and time are two factors that play with all efforts. You are nieve if you don't think they do. The "right way" isn't always the best way or the only way.

I listen to so many people on here and appreciate all who have helped, but I think that many of the people who post here, gain their "expertise" here. Many parrot information from older posts. Much of their REAL knowledge is limited to what sits in their garage. I'm not knocking it, just stating my opinion. It's the same in many other forums in many other subjects.

Time for me to go out and get some real experience in a couple weeks at Winterfest. Maybe my opinion will change...

Back