• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yj question

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
this should be on a modified yj forum, but seing how i dont have a yj i have no desire to sign up for a forum. Im asking this for a friend. How much lift can you get on a yj before you need a SYE and driveshafts? I'm guessing not much. i asume they have the d30 front and d35 rear like the xjs? its that asumtion correct?

94XJ4x4 said:
this should be on a modified yj forum, but seing how i dont have a yj i have no desire to sign up for a forum. Im asking this for a friend. How much lift can you get on a yj before you need a SYE and driveshafts? I'm guessing not much. i asume they have the d30 front and d35 rear like the xjs? its that asumtion correct?

Personal experience was I put 4" and everything seemed fine. But this was back before I knew anything about anything, seems to me now, that i did have some slight vibes, But I never "wheeled it either", and yes 30f/35r.

she is straped for cash though (college student). she could only run 33's open diffs... kinda, depending on who you ask and how she drives, safely on the stock axles so what do you think would be the best way to clear 33's? 33x12.5 i should probably specify. would a 1 inch body with a 3 inch suspention with a tcase drop and shims work?

If all else fails she could run 32s on 1 inch body and 2 inch suspention. asuming they make a 2 inch kit with full leaf packs. Leaving the stock rusty old leaf packs and adding an add a leaf would be a bad idea in the end i think.

What is everyones opinion? I could keep trying to convince her to buy an xj but i dont think shes going to. haha! Are there any spcific brands that anyone would suggest?

I ran a YJ with 33s and a four inch spring lift for years with out a SYE. I did however have the drive shaft made a little longer...Like an inch. Never had a problem. No vibes either. I did have a one inch TC lowering bracket on it though.

same width

Rear D/S on a YJ with a currie SYE and 5.5" SOA lift measures 19" long.

check out:
www.jedi.com

Ben Hollingsworth who owns the black yj on there is a great guy who would be more than willing to help you out.
he prettymuch is the authority on YJ mods (as far as i am concerned)

started with a 1.25 full length AAL on his rig - after springs saged back to stock, he went with an SOA lift and needed an SYE to get contact with the output shaft - (total 5.5" lift)

e-mail him - he'll give you accureate info

also remember that thier front DS is single cardan - no "CV" joint at the t-case end to mess up castor angle - keep that in mind...

Back