• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another Renix overheating thread

So to refresh I installed a electric supplementary temperature guage and still use the stock one. The supplementary guage is bolted into the thermostat housing as is the Corvette thermal switch for the fan.

Climbing a mountain this weekend I noticed belatedly that the stock guage was registering around 230*!! The second guage was reading 190* I flipped on the electric fan and it cooled back down to 190* at the back of the engine and around 180 at the front. Did not have my new heat sensor gun with me so not sure how accurate it all was but in my driveway they seem about right when I test the guages.

Ambient temperature was around 75*. Hot for WA but not that bad.

The POS stock Hayden fan clutch was not that hard to turn.

My current theory is that the radiator is so bloody efficient that it is not getting hot enough to activate the fan clutch early enough. Or the fan clutch is just garbage which is probably more the case. What I do not quite understand is why the back of the engine would heat up like that.

Am going to double check for trapped air... maybe I still have some. But unlikely. I flushed block well when I changed the radiator. Totally weird.

Perhaps the magic combo is the ZJ clutch and the 195* stat. More to come.

I found the only reliable way to get the top half of the radiator full of coolant was to use an in line filler neck on the upper radiator hose. The top half of my radiator always had air trapped in the radiator, the bottom half was hot the top half was cold. The real problem with Renix is trapped air in the top half to 1/3 of the radiator, not trapped air in the block.

Also check for exhaust leak blowing on the side of block!!!

Back