• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yellow Top Battery

Static voltage?

No crank or no start?

How long was the battery charged before it was installed?

Was it charged with a voltage regulated charger as Optima requires?

Was it charged at the correct amperage as Optima requires?

Cable ends cleaned?

Would not crank. Placed old battery back on Jeep and it works fine. Did not charge it and bought off the shelf. Should I have to charge it to start it the first time??????

I didn't charge my yellow top when I bought mine, no issues with it. I did know someone who got a yellow top and it was defective from the factory, wouldn't hold a charge. Got a new one and it was all fine.

put a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is.

if 12v, then try turning the engine over with the volt meter connected to the battery. if voltage drops under 10v, then the battery is bad. if its holding 12v, then is should not drop under 10v with a load applied.

I've never heard of that before. I didn't have to charge my blue top when I bought it.
Billy

Betcha the prob is in the clamp or cable I had a cracked one once and no matter what I did I couldnt get it to keep workin...everytime I turned the truck off it wouldnt start....didnt notice the crack forever...finally drove a nail in the post by the crack and got it home.....

Even Optima batteries discharge while sitting on a shelf.

No battery should be used before it is properly charged.

I also purchased a Red Top before and started right up from the shelf.....I'll try to take it back and have them charge it!! Might keep them from blaming me if it's bad!

Sounds like a bad battery off the shelf. I am no longer a fan of the Optima battery line. I have seen too many problems come with the Optimas as of late. Years ago we loved them and used them in everything. The Sears platinum is the battery I chose to use today. Something has happened to the quality of the Optimas in the last few years. Exchange it and hope you get a good one. IMO, research a different battery.

A couple of days (It sat for 2 days) after I installed a Red top in my XJ it would not start, I used a portable jup start unit to get it going, took a nice long 3 Hour drive & have been good to go ever since; I think the Optimas need a good inital charge after being installed.

Redux......Took Optima battery back where I purchased it and had them run a voltage check on it. It came up plenty of CCA and then they checked the battery on the XJ and it said battery needed replaced!!! It was starting fine!!
I insisted they place the yellow top on their cycle charger and have them run it through a cycle for about an hour.
Re-installed it and it works fine now. Long story short.......their batteries are sitting on the shelf a long time (I assume because of the cost) and they don't charge them up prior to sale. This was a Batteries Plus.
The young guy was really good about however and I feel good about the store but on the fence about the product..
$220 doesn't buy a whole lot like it used to!!

Back