• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJs racing the Baja 500

tcm glx said:
coco.jpg
The guy on the left is the famous CoCo of CoCo's corner. Too bad he can't stand up now. He had to have the "good" leg cut off at the knee also.

Sal.jpg

Sal Fish on the left. Tony I'm not sure who the other guy is.

pic1.jpg

As for this one ... did I really have my hand that far down her pants LOL

BajaCurt said:
The guy on the left is the famous CoCo of CoCo's corner. Too bad he can't stand up now. He had to have the "good" leg cut off at the knee also.

Sal.jpg

pic1.jpg

bingo.............we have winner!!

tcm glx said:
Are u kidding me Jim, racing in baja is the ultimate for a person like myself that's into off road. I would do it in a heartbeat, as a matter of fact I plan to do it in the next couple of years (3-7 yrs) but not in the jeep.

Have u ever seen dust to glory...m if not, plz plz plz do so!
I know Tony, it's like a playground down there. But here's my problem, the locals USED to want the baja to be run down there, it brought business and money to the area. Now they're all just a bunch of assholes. There's people digging trenches, dragging car carcasses in the middle of the course, putting sharp objects in the road, all to mess up your day. After you wreck, you're lucky if you don't get killed and have your truck stripped. Not my idea of a good time, I usually try NOT to put myself in stupid situations unless I have to.

Like I said, to each his own, but I'll be really worried about ANY of you who decide to wheel in mexico for any reason.

Grimm the problem with bringing protection like that is the federalis, if they find it, you're going to a mexican jail. Again, NO THANKS!!

And Yes I've see Dust to Glory are you kidding me?! I've been into offroading and going fast since I was a tot. My parents were taking me out to Glamis since I was born, riding since I was 3, and I've never looked back or regretted it. I absolutely love the desert.

crazyjim said:
I know Tony, it's like a playground down there. But here's my problem, the locals USED to want the baja to be run down there, it brought business and money to the area. Now they're all just a bunch of assholes. There's people digging trenches, dragging car carcasses in the middle of the course, putting sharp objects in the road, all to mess up your day. After you wreck, you're lucky if you don't get killed and have your truck stripped. Not my idea of a good time, I usually try NOT to put myself in stupid situations unless I have to.

Like I said, to each his own, but I'll be really worried about ANY of you who decide to wheel in mexico for any reason.

Grimm the problem with bringing protection like that is the federalis, if they find it, you're going to a mexican jail. Again, NO THANKS!!

And Yes I've see Dust to Glory are you kidding me?! I've been into offroading and going fast since I was a tot. My parents were taking me out to Glamis since I was born, riding since I was 3, and I've never looked back or regretted it. I absolutely love the desert.

No offense Jim, but calling all the business owner assholes is a pretty big stretch.

As far as the digging trenches, guess what, a company based out of san diego was just caught doing it at the 500, so it wasn't the locals, but americans causing the booby traps.

Oh, and when was the last time you were personally there??

Anyways, is it dangerous, hell yeah, that's part of what makes it the 500 or the 1000. But then again, so is a lot of things we do. (Did u notice how many drunks were wheeling when we wheeled at truckhaven??)

BajaCurt said:

pic1.jpg

My Dad

YOu all did notice that Tony was photoshopped into those pictures didn't you?

Either that or he paid the ten bucks to have his picture taken with Sal...

boy, can I tell you a story about Sal at the '79 Baja 1000...I wish I had pictures still...

:cheers:

tcm glx said:
No offense Jim, but calling all the business owner assholes is a pretty big stretch.

As far as the digging trenches, guess what, a company based out of san diego was just caught doing it at the 500, so it wasn't the locals, but americans causing the booby traps.

Oh, and when was the last time you were personally there??

Anyways, is it dangerous, hell yeah, that's part of what makes it the 500 or the 1000. But then again, so is a lot of things we do. (Did u notice how many drunks were wheeling when we wheeled at truckhaven??)

Oh no no no, I think you took me the wrong way, the business owners aren't the assholes. There's just a lot of locals down there who really don't want Americans down there any longer with the recent uproar of illegals vs. citizens in this country.

My parents go to mexico all the damn time, and I think they're crazy. They have a condo in Cabo, which isn't as bad as the border cities, but they still go to Rosarito etc fairly often. They do their best to stay out of trouble but I still worry every time.

And yea, I realize the danger factor from truckhaven, I guess I'm used to it though with growing up at Glamis. I was there before the boom, during the boom, and after the boom. I still remember when Comp hill was ok to bring your little ones as long as you didn't mind them seeing a nipple or two. Now you're lucky if you don't get in a brawl down there.

crazyjim said:
I still remember when Comp hill was ok to bring your little ones as long as you didn't mind them seeing a nipple or two. Now you're lucky if you don't get in a brawl down there.
yep... too many idiots not enough sand :D

BajaCurt said:

Sal.jpg

Sorry, this is my dad..........my bad!! I left the wrong picture up!!!

BajaCurt said:

pic1.jpg

And this one...a goood firend of mine dancing!!

I want to say a couple things. I checked this thread a few times at work today and it killed me that I couldn't comment. I type slow and the boss kept walking by.
I drove down Friday to Ensenada by myself amd met mi amigos there. One is a member of the Regulators Racing team and they asked me to help chase with them. During the drive down I missed the turn for the toll road right after crossing the border. I am ashamed to say it wasn't the first time I've done that. So I had a scenic tour of downtown TJ and drove in a circle..couldn't find the way back on the tollway and circled around again. Now I know how to find the tollway if (when) I miss that turn again. They must have changed the signs, yea that's it. Never once did I feel uncomfortable being by myself. There were lot's of racers heading down and alot of Federal Police patrolling the toll road. I felt safer then in many areas of Southern California. I even parked on the streets for the contingency/inspection and all weekend in Ensenada.
No you don't take a little heat down there Grimm. For the reason Tony said plus the really bad guys have automatic weapons and if they are gonna take your rig then they are gonna take your rig. I could get killed in a car crash driving up the 405 just as easily if not more likely (to quote a line out of Dust To Glory). At the start of the race there were about 10 military guys in full green camo and green and black face paint guarding the starting line. They didn't really blend in the city terrain with the face paint and green fatigues and their machine guns but it was a good show of force along with all the truck loads of them driving around town.
And like Tony said the danger is part of the excitement of Baja. Plus I speak enough spanish to ask a question and then they answer in spanish and I don't understand a word they are saying. So the challenge to communicate is also part of the adventure.
Being this was my first time chasing with a race team it gave me a whole new dimension of Baja racing. I'm hooked and damn it just added about 10 things to the list of things to add to my XJ...roll cage, race radio, GPS, yellow light on back, BFG Baja TA 33's etc etc.
If you haven't experienced a baja race I encourage you to do so. My first times we arrived at night and camped out on some dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Then I was awakened at 5:30 by the sound of a motorcycle screaming by and when I got out of my tent the whole road is lined with people. After the bikes go by the excitement builds until the first helicopter is spotted signaling a trophy truck is about to come by. There is nothing I have experienced like a 800 HP trophy truck driving by on a dirt road doing 100 MPH about 6 feet away from you. AWESOME is all I can say.
I'll get off the soap box now. Here are more pics, another vid and a link to all the pics I took. Make sure you crank your speakers way up for the video. I love that sound!!!!

I call this first one Hang On CoCo
Baja500_2008%20060a.jpg

Baja500_2008%20078a.jpg

Baja500_2008%20052a.jpg

Baja500_2008%20110a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lUscVBuX9s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bajacurt/sets/72157605420288512/

BajaCurt said:
I want to say a couple things. I checked this thread a few times at work today and it killed me that I couldn't comment. I type slow and the boss kept walking by.
I drove down Friday to Ensenada by myself amd met mi amigos there. One is a member of the Regulators Racing team and they asked me to help chase with them. During the drive down I missed the turn for the toll road right after crossing the border. I am ashamed to say it wasn't the first time I've done that. So I had a scenic tour of downtown TJ and drove in a circle..couldn't find the way back on the tollway and circled around again. Now I know how to find the tollway if (when) I miss that turn again. They must have changed the signs, yea that's it. Never once did I feel uncomfortable being by myself. There were lot's of racers heading down and alot of Federal Police patrolling the toll road. I felt safer then in many areas of Southern California. I even parked on the streets for the contingency/inspection and all weekend in Ensenada.
No you don't take a little heat down there Grimm. For the reason Tony said plus the really bad guys have automatic weapons and if they are gonna take your rig then they are gonna take your rig. I could get killed in a car crash driving up the 405 just as easily if not more likely (to quote a line out of Dust To Glory). At the start of the race there were about 10 military guys in full green camo and green and black face paint guarding the starting line. They didn't really blend in the city terrain with the face paint and green fatigues and their machine guns but it was a good show of force along with all the truck loads of them driving around town.
And like Tony said the danger is part of the excitement of Baja. Plus I speak enough spanish to ask a question and then they answer in spanish and I don't understand a word they are saying. So the challenge to communicate is also part of the adventure.
Being this was my first time chasing with a race team it gave me a whole new dimension of Baja racing. I'm hooked and damn it just added about 10 things to the list of things to add to my XJ...roll cage, race radio, GPS, yellow light on back, BFG Baja TA 33's etc etc.
If you haven't experienced a baja race I encourage you to do so. My first times we arrived at night and camped out on some dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Then I was awakened at 5:30 by the sound of a motorcycle screaming by and when I got out of my tent the whole road is lined with people. After the bikes go by the excitement builds until the first helicopter is spotted signaling a trophy truck is about to come by. There is nothing I have experienced like a 800 HP trophy truck driving by on a dirt road doing 100 MPH about 6 feet away from you. AWESOME is all I can say.
I'll get off the soap box now. Here are more pics, another vid and a link to all the pics I took. Make sure you crank your speakers way up for the video. I love that sound!!!!

I call this first one Hang On CoCo
Baja500_2008%20060a.jpg

Baja500_2008%20078a.jpg

Baja500_2008%20052a.jpg

Baja500_2008%20110a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lUscVBuX9s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bajacurt/sets/72157605420288512/

Curt, I couldnt agree with you more...once you are actually down there chasing, it becomes a completely different dimension......a whole different world!! I am coutning down the days for the 1000..

that one with the v8 sounds nice, wish the video ran a few seconds longer to hear it purr.

Back