• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ still overheats - have overhauled everything.

I was told old the serpentene condensers are not good enough for R-134a, the head pressure on the compressor gets too high, gets too hot, and draws more power, adding to the heat going from the condenser to the radiator. My AC works way better using a new 97 parallel flow AC condenser on my 87, R-134a converted AC. It got me about another 15 F cooler, and my AC works way better in crawling traffic in a 105 F heat wave day with out overheating the cooling system now.

Any more info on the "new 97 parallel flow AC condenser"?
Do you just mean a stock '97+ condenser?

Yes, in 97 jeep went to a parallel flow AC condenser and fits the same spot the older one does. I had to get my hoses-fittings custom made in a local hose shop because the hose-fitting changed.

Any more info on the "new 97 parallel flow AC condenser"?
Do you just mean a stock '97+ condenser?

UPDATE: IT'S FIXED!!!

Thanks to Bad Luck for sending me a link to this thread. Same problem as me - overheating for 3 years, even with aftermarket radiators.

The fix is to get rid of the aftermarket radiator. They suck. I installed a Mopar radiator (Part 05191929AA - $150ish) and my problem is fixed. Today I drove home with the A/C on and had absolutely no trouble. Normally I'd be in the red, driving with the windows open and the heater on full blast.

So there you have it... cheapo plastic-tank MOPAR radiator > 2-row full aluminum aftermarket radiator.

Glad that you got it solved.

Count the number of cooling fins per inch on the aluminum radiator, and compare that with the mopar radiator - i bet you'll find there are way more fins on the mopar than the aftermarket one.

Back