• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ pulling a 25 ft sea ray

legally pull vehicle has to weight twice as much as its towing

you are an idiot.... so the maximum load for a semi trailer is 80,000lbs... you think the tractor weighs 160,000?

or better yet, the XJ is rated to tow 5klbs yet it does not weigh 10k lbs.

OP, figure out how much that boat and trailer combo weighs.

I have towed just under 5k with mine.... as long as you remember stopping distances its really not that bad.

having stiffer springs (rubicon express 3.5") helps a lot

with the extra suspension I would tow 6k with trailer brakes. but I wouldn't take it on the freeway.

In 07 I bought a "pop-up" to go camping/wheeling.It weighs in at about 3200#/wet and has trailer brakes.For the first year of towing seemed pretty good for where I had been.In 08 we planned a trip to Ouray,CO for a week of wheeling.I decided to redo all the brakes before the the trip.I bought slotted/drilled/Cry-oed rotors and the best pads/shoes I could find,btw this is all on a 2000/4.0/AW-4 running 32's and 4.10 gears.Coming into Telluride from Cortez I almost lost my brakes,I was losing pedal(fluid boiling).I stopped on the bridge entering town,my rotors had "color",by the time I grabbed my IF Temp gun and checked,I still had rotor temps of 490*.On the way back home going from Ouray to Durango I had to just hold it in 2nd on the steeper grades.
Bottom line for me is that 3000# is alot for an XJ!

In 07 I bought a "pop-up" to go camping/wheeling.It weighs in at about 3200#/wet and has trailer brakes.For the first year of towing seemed pretty good for where I had been.In 08 we planned a trip to Ouray,CO for a week of wheeling.I decided to redo all the brakes before the the trip.I bought slotted/drilled/Cry-oed rotors and the best pads/shoes I could find,btw this is all on a 2000/4.0/AW-4 running 32's and 4.10 gears.Coming into Telluride from Cortez I almost lost my brakes,I was losing pedal(fluid boiling).I stopped on the bridge entering town,my rotors had "color",by the time I grabbed my IF Temp gun and checked,I still had rotor temps of 490*.On the way back home going from Ouray to Durango I had to just hold it in 2nd on the steeper grades.
Bottom line for me is that 3000# is alot for an XJ!

Does the trailer have electric brakes? If so turn them up! You should not be boiling your brakes with trailer brakes!

Does the trailer have electric brakes? If so turn them up! You should not be boiling your brakes with trailer brakes!

The trailer brakes were doing some smoking of their own,Colorado has some of the steepest grades in the country!

Holy crap,you aint towing that with a XJ !!

I really doubt that's only 3500 lb.

that's what i found but i rally don't know and tell me would it look bad ass if your xj yanking this thing around if it could haha but i do have a 21 ft sea ray i hooked it to my jeep and pulled it out of my driveway but have not really towed it down the street will i be ok with that

it will look badass till you get in an accident because an XJ towing that is simply not safe. Then it will look really stupid.

It's quite obvious you really really want to believe you will be fine towing it with your XJ and are going to do it regardless of what we say, you'll convince yourself of it being OK. Just don't blame us when you end up in an accident due to this.

I have had several boats over the years. towing that will not be safe. God forbid you put in fuel, beer, ice and an easy up.

I tow with a 5.4L expedition and It would barely tow that sea ray, not enough power, you will burn up the brakes and destroy the transmission if you dont die or kill someone.

KH

I had to just hold it in 2nd on the steeper grades.
========================================
YES! YES! YES!
IT's called ((((((DOWN SHIFTING)))))))) A lost art do to the intro of the slush-o-matic. Today almost considered a black art by the young and misinformed. But in it's day it was considered a standard for WHAT? S-l-o-w-i-n-g d-o-w-n. PARTICULARLY useful when towing on the grades. A real brake saver FOR SURE.
For ANYONE towing ANYTHING with ANYTHING learn to do it right. use it Love it. someday it could save your life. Towing or not.
PS: Best if done well BEFORE you smell brake pads burning.

Last edited:
it will look badass till you get in an accident because an XJ towing that is simply not safe. Then it will look really stupid.

It's quite obvious you really really want to believe you will be fine towing it with your XJ and are going to do it regardless of what we say, you'll convince yourself of it being OK. Just don't blame us when you end up in an accident due to this.
hey im not believing i can or not I was asking I really do know how much a xj can tow that's all

i was looking for a wire harness on google and can find one my be im not asking right do thay make one for a xj? i found out the 21' sea ray that im looking at now the trailer has brakes not the 25' one were not talking a bought one any more

I had to just hold it in 2nd on the steeper grades.
========================================
YES! YES! YES!
IT's called ((((((DOWN SHIFTING)))))))) A lost art do to the intro of the slush-o-matic. Today almost considered a black art by the young and misinformed. But in it's day it was considered a standard for WHAT? S-l-o-w-i-n-g d-o-w-n. PARTICULARLY useful when towing on the grades. A real brake saver FOR SURE.
For ANYONE towing ANYTHING with ANYTHING learn to do it right. use it Love it. someday it could save your life. Towing or not.
PS: Best if done well BEFORE you smell brake pads burning.

With my XJ on the trailer, the weight pushed through any engine braking in my '01 CTD (NV4500, so no converter slop) in 4th and even 3rd gear. Any more downshifting and I'm going less than 20 mph.

That's in NH, nowhere near as steep grades as CO.

Downshifting can only help so much.

Back