• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ maintenance impatience...

Buzzstrike

NAXJA Forum User
DAHHHHH.

I haven't been off road since July. I've still got the interior removed, got a new floor pan welded in, dug out a very nice seat mount out of another 96, along with the sun visors and some plastic trim for around the hatch today.

I still have to pull out the axles to regear and other steering repairs and then maybe put the interior back in.

WHEELING WITHDRAWL SUCKS....

Oh, look a new 4WD and Quadratec catalogs just came in the mail.

Bastards....

I've still got to rip apart the steering column in mine to tighten it up, replace a rear spring bushing, refill the front diff with gear oil, rework my exhaust.....and the list goes on and on.

Don't feel bad, mine hasn't been wheeling since July either.

I rolled my Jeep off the trailer in July when I got home from the Crawl and it hasn't moved since then.

3 flat tires, gas tank is falling out of it, passenger side slider is falling off.... fun stuff.

I guess it is time to start the "What do I need to get done for the Crawl" 2016 edition sooner rather than later!

I have a list also - that includes, among other things, dual caliper pistons in the rear, WJ knuckle set up in the front, and all that goes with that swap.

Mine gets used for tractor service. Pulling stumps, moving firewood and dirt. Of course the polaris does more of that now since it's smaller and get into tighter places on our measly 3 acres.

I did recently put in a new alternator and belt.

My front D-60 should be in my possession this week.

5.13 gears
master install
spool
rebuild kingpins if needed
rebuild brakes
high steer arms
new draglink and tie rod

do some cutting on the rear quarters and remove stock rear step bumper (RIP) and build new rear bumper/hitch assembly

Save money for the crawl.

Try to figure out how to get the polaris up there with the MJ and just 14 ft of deck on my trailer! LOL...and hell no I'm not driving the MJ pulling the ranger behind it!

WELL! I've been wheeling a couple times sense July. Of course the heep is running like shit right now but at least it is running and not torn apart. I've got a shit tone I'd like to do to the heep but I might not do a damn thing but wheel it as is for a while longer.

I guess it is time to start the "What do I need to get done for the Crawl" 2016 edition sooner rather than later!

I have a list also - that includes, among other things, dual caliper pistons in the rear, WJ knuckle set up in the front, and all that goes with that swap.

Dual piston calipers in the rear? Do tell.

I have been told that if you have a Ford 8.8 in the rear end that there is a set of Ford Mustang dual piston calipers that will fit that axle. I am still trying to get the details. The land-use Coordinator for the Mile Hi Jeep Club in Colorado told me he has that set up on his XJ. The parts guy at my local auto parts store, who is also a four wheeler, confirmed that there are interchangeable options. I have an email out to Colorado and am waiting for Nathan to come back to work tomorrow to do some more research.

So, I got a step closer. In 1997 (for sure, probably other years) the Mustang Cobra - only the Cobra, no other version near as we could tell - appeared to come with dual piston calipers front and rear that should interchange. I usually get my parts from Advance, and the fronts are still available, but the rears have been discontinued.

The search continues.

Last edited:
Ok, well, there was never a dual piston caliper made for the Mustang (or any 8.8 for that matter) however, the 94-98 Mustang single piston calipers are an upgrade over the Explorer caliper as the piston has a bigger bore. That said, if you want to go fancy and expensive and look into Wilwood or something, you could probably find them.

Sounds like you'd need to get mounting brackets from the junk yard, as the brackets aren't reproduced. And perhaps do a little modification to them.

This info came from a call I had with CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg PA.

I just want better braking. The stock stuff isn't good.

Ahh ok thought maybe you were researching for something different! well a good friend of mine had big rear brakes on his xj. Dual piston k20 brakes on a 14b I believe.. And not sure what proportioning valve he had. Anyways, he locked them up on the highway and the rear locked before the front and caused him to fishtail and barrel roll. Luckily he had a cage. Food for thought of when big rear brakes get a little too big for the application. Or just proportion it right :D

I love my WJ Akebono front brakes with d35 rear discs on my 8.25. Stops on a dime and good control. I feel very comfortable.

Good point. I am currently getting parts horded for the WJ front upgrade, but figured if I could upgrade the rear a little bit also, all the better.

Back