• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Long Arm Question

F1504x2

NAXJA Forum User
Long Arm upgrade question.

We have an 88 XJ with a Rough Country 6.5” lift and want to upgrade to an 8”+ Long Arm, what is the cheapies route to take. We thought about the Rustys Long Arm Kit, Coils, and Shock but we would be looking at $1000.

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks, John

plenty of ideas, and plenty of the exact same question asked plenty of times here.

search and you'll find what many people have said on the subject, easy search... bottom left of this page will have threads which are like this one. there should be a few you'll want to read in there.

other than that, check out the RED writing in my sig line, it will answer this question better than I ever could.

If it is a cheapy you want, they sell an Iron Rock long arm upgrade on ebay $599. and get 2 inch coil spacers. 8 inch is kinda high tho it prolly be better off at 6.5

$1000 for an 8" long arm sounds cheap.

there is nothing cheap about an 8" lift.

you will get great info about long arms through search as this is a common question. there is tons of info on it.

what are your plans for your 88? tire size, axles and gearing, steering.

8" lift is huge and should be well thought out.

look for a used kit. I just bought a Rock Krawler 3-link long arm kit for $200. I spent $100 in replacing the joints, so $300 for an $800 kit. Of course I had to get new shocks, springs, brake lines, etc., but I sold off my old lift parts to compensate for some of that.

There is no way to get to 8" cheaply. Considering you're at 6.5" currently, you probably already have a SYE and new shafts, but you may need to lengthen your driveshafts further for the extra height. Your steering will definitely need reworking (unless already done), you may need new shims to correct pinion angle, not to mention all the new underwear and seat cleanings resulting from off-camber spots on the trail at that height...:D

cheap....
8" spacers on stock coils, 8" lift blocks and or 16" shackles (not sure what would be cheaper), 8" bar pin elliminators (cut sq tube) with stock shocks, tube controll arm (deffentally dont buy dom its too expensive), cut and sleeved stock trac bar. Youd be ready to roll... :gee:

Im creative huh!

cheap....
8" spacers on stock coils, 8" lift blocks and or 16" shackles (not sure what would be cheaper), 8" bar pin elliminators (cut sq tube) with stock shocks, tube controll arm (deffentally dont buy dom its too expensive), cut and sleeved stock trac bar. Youd be ready to roll... :gee:

Im creative huh!

I like how you think!

I'm going to win KOH next year with that set up!

I hope everyone doesn't see this.

Back