• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ injectors, manifolds, and milage

slaughlin

NAXJA Forum User
This reports milage with my 1998 XL Limited with various fuel injectors and intake manifolds. The XJ 4WD and is pretty much stock, and has either used Bosch single Platinum plugs, or (currently) NGK V-Power plugs. At some point during this time I switched from a K&N drop-in filter to a paper filter. Here is the milage I have recorded with various configurations:

Highway:

Trip with stock intake manifold & injectors - 2,700 miles, all Interstate driving 70-75 MPH) - 16.94 MPG

Trip with stock manifold & 19 lb/hr Bosch injectors - 1,200 miles, half Interstate speed, half about 60 MPH - 19.98 MPG

Trip with 2000 intake manifold & stock injectors - 1,300 miles, all Interstate - 19.65 MPG

Trip with stock manifold & 23.2 lb/hr Bosch injectors - 1,600 miles, all Interstate speed - 18.7 MPG

In town driving milage seems to be about the same no matter what configuration. My in-town driving is mostly commuting to work (half city streets, half Interstate) and runs around 16 MPG, it does seem a little better with the Bosch 23.2 lb/hr injectors. Over all for the since the beginning of 2004 I've gotten 17 MPG.

The 19 lb/hr injectors came out after seeing some of Dr. Dyno's posts, I decided they were too small for the 98 XJ. I did get some detonation on acceleration. The 2000 intake manifold came off while trying to diagnose a detonation like sound. I have since decided the sound is a small crack in the exhaust manifold. The 23.3 lb/hr Bosch injectors seem to work fine. The Cherokee will run OK on regular gasoline, but is happier on mid-range around here as Birmingham is pretty hilly, and regular does give some detonation on the long hills.

Steve in AL

Back