• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hurst Shifter

I cut 2" out of my stock shifter. AX-15 in a MJ.
I'm 6ft, love it. Definately shifts better than stock, no issues with it being too short. Cost? My time to cut and weld it.

The most fun part was getting the four new bolts in. Needed a 13mm "wobble" 1/4" drive socket.

Lowering the cross member will open things up a bit. Don't forget to pop off the nylon "bushing" from the bottom of the stock shifter and install it on the new one.

Last edited:
there won't be anything to adjust.
Ya, at first I was dissapointed that it did not have adjustable shift stops, but, seems fine right out of the box.
BTW, I think you will have to fabricate an entire new base looking at the stocker vs the Hurst.
Simply no way to move the fulcrum up on the stock shifter.
Pictures of the install would be fantastic.
Sorry, done did install it already... but may pull the consol(sp?) tomorrow to attach the shift lever to the drivers side of the shift actuator (too far to the passengers side for my liking... I'm small), If I do I'll snap some shots... actually might attempt to bend the shift lever to be shaped more like the stock lever as well. Absolutely love the action/feel and slightly extended stick length, just need to get it a little closer to me.
The most fun part was getting the four new bolts in. Needed a 13mm 1/4" drive socket. Don't forget to pop off the nylon "bushing" from the bottom of the stock shifter and install it on the new one.
That info. is invaluable!
Too bad I'm reading it only afer jacking with the rear 2 bolts for eternity and figuring it out on my own.
The plastic deal was actually noted in the instuctions provided by Hurst... I fought that for a while too... till I got smart and dialed a cresent in on it and tapped it with a hammer.

I pretty much destroyed the stock inner boot, so, I'll junk yard one here before too long... unless I find one super cheap on the net.

I did a Hurst on my street/strip 5.0 mustang a million years ago, and forgot how much a difference a "real" shifter makes in ability to fluidly change gears.
It no longer feels like rowing a boat with a rubber oar.
My hand can actually keep up with my foot now, and it snicks from gear to gear with an actual solid metalic feel... like you are shifting actual gears in an accurate manner rather than hopelessly stirring globs of goo around inside the case.

Drained the tranny fluid for the first time in 190,000 miles and added redline mt-90.
You should have seen the bottom of the drain pan... major silt... and the magnetic drain plug had a tonne of junk attached as well.
Scary.

Last edited:
I could build my own for all of $15. machine a spacer. take two shifters. cut the nub off the bottom of one, up next to the pivot, cut the nub off the other one, next to the ball that fits into the shift forks in the trans. weld nub on.

the part welded on would be the same length as the spacer. end result, shorter throw.

yeah but it wouldn't be gold anodized or say Hurst on the T handle :D

shoot me a pic of the hurst shifter itself, if you could...I've been looking for pics but can't find them.

I have a hurst shifter from a T5 from the '96 parts camaro I used when I put the buick 3800 from it in my '86 comanche. I just never finished converting the hurst shifter to work with the AX5.

cute little thing.

the T5 one I have can be adapted to work on my ax15, so I'm going to do that....the T5 shifter hole is offset to the side, because the trans is clocked a bit, so I have to tear it apart, heat the rod, make it straight (or bend to driver's side), make a lever for it, redrill the bolt holes, and make a 1/8" spacer for it. but, it will work.

*sigh* the endless mods continue.

Back