• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ headers, Recommendations???

I've had an APN on my for the last 15,000 miles and it's been great, when i swapped it I also did the 2000 intakeswap as well.

I would recommend the Pacesetter long tube header kit. Both the XJ and TJ will fit, but the TJ version offers a better manifold to down tube connection....bolt-on flanges....compared to slip-fits. I've had them on my 98 for a few years now and love the way they sounds and perform.

I don't have a problem with the quality or installation of my APN header. I did have to remove metal from the #6 intake tube, but once I figured that out, it installed easily (sure, it took me three attempts...but I got it installed).

I also used the short flex tube. The only real problem I had is with the exhaust shop that did a crappy welding job causing an inordinate amount of whistling at high rpm. You should be fine with that APN setup.

I have the same problem with the heat induced rust on the passenger side even though the exhaust is wrapped in fiberglass exhaust wrap. Now I have to do some cuting and welding to replace the rust. That part sucks. I am using a Borla stainless header and I am sure it is cracked. Sounded ok for a couple of years, but now? No. I was thinking about the Clifford Performance ceramic coated headed with the dual outlets. But being a dual, there is more work and space needed to route the exhaust. I plan on putting a "heat sheild" to insulate the passenger side floor. I thought the exhaust wrap would have taken care of this issue.

As for the "flex-joint", they can be found through Summit, Jegs, or even Grainger. I think the stainless braid is fine. We use them here at work all the time and they seem to hold up. I guess time will tell.

Just a plan so far.

Why does the inline 6/4.0 have so many problems with exhaust?? V-8s don't seem to have all these problems.

Hmm....

Last edited:
not meaning to hijack but has anyone had any experience with the ceramic coated headers? are they worth it? Also why does no one like banks?

Does everyone like APN because they are cheap or because they have not used any other brand?

What problems are there with the banks header?

They crack and break.

not meaning to hijack but has anyone had any experience with the ceramic coated headers? are they worth it? Also why does no one like banks?

Does everyone like APN because they are cheap or because they have not used any other brand?

I ceramic coated all of the exhaust components and turbo housing on my diesel. I will never own another set of headers that are not coated. I'm planning to get a APN and send it out for coating before I install. The coating significantly cuts underhood heat.

DO NOT BUY THE BANKS HEADER.

What was your experience with them? Did it fail? Did the fit and finish suck? How was the company to deal with (good HR?)? You just cant put a statment out there like that and not back it up with something (pictures/facts) :twak:. I just got the Banks header and ceramic coated it. We'll see what happens. Seems like a nice beefy piece to me.

Another vote for the APN header. Put one in my old XJ, and a couple of my buddies' rigs... all have held up fine as far as I know.

i had the edlebrock header and every weld on in cracked within a year, hence i will never buy another edlebrock product again. i bought the banks tourqe tube header ceramic coated and its awsome. it fit great, looks awsome and so far i have no complaints. it also has a lifetime warrenty so if it cracks i get another one free of charge. not to metion there customer service is awsome. hard to beat that kind of warrenty

i had the edlebrock header and every weld on in cracked within a year, hence i will never buy another edlebrock product again. i bought the banks tourqe tube header ceramic coated and its awsome. it fit great, looks awsome and so far i have no complaints. it also has a lifetime warrenty so if it cracks i get another one free of charge. not to metion there customer service is awsome. hard to beat that kind of warrenty

How do you like your banks?

Another vote for APN header but there was a little issue with shipping.
I paid immediate online after checked out but somehow it never got shipped out til 2 week later since I was little busy so didn't contact APN. After ordered and waiting for about 2 weeks didn't see the header arrive I then contacted APN and they told me that they dont know why it didn't get shipped out even though it has been paid. So they get it get out right away and I got it a week later. The installation very straight forward.

I have a Banks Torque Tube header for a few years now. I love it. It bolted up perfectly to the block and to the down tube.

Only thing I would have done differently is I should have had it Ceramic coated. It gets real hot under the hood now.

Hope this helps-

Jeff-97XJ

I've had a Doug Thorley Tri-Y on my '91 Laredo 4.0l since August '05 & it hasn't cracked yetparty1:...but I also added a SS flex-joint just before the cat & replaced the engine mounts with Polyurethanes within a year, so mileage may vary.:dunno:

I have a Dorman unit I picked up from O'Reilly which carries a lifetime warranty. If it cracks again, they pay for it!

might as well post these in this thread since i popped back up.

Banks Header, coated by Swain Tech. Calico Coatings in another place that I will be using in the future to coat my downpipe.

Been running it about 1.5 years with no issues and it's been through some heat. Had some cooling, timing, and fuel mapping issues that cause various hot streaks with no cracking.

Under hood temps are down, hood doesn't burn me in the summer, still warm underneath though.

And the pics:

IMGP4978.JPG

IMGP4981.JPG

Back