• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Front 4 & 3 Link At Its Best

So how much lift did you end up needing on the stock XJ?

What happened to the rear 4 link? Decide to go a different route?

The MJ has a totally different rear crossmember...

Are the bolt heads exposed on the bottom or is that an illusion in the pictures -- would it be possible to recess them a little more to better protect the head from deformation?

Thank you. The problem is that IRO will not warranty that kit if you have them cut it longer than stock to accommodate the rear stretch in my xj. They cut the arms long but don't weld the outside end of the arm, and because of this there is no warranty on the kit. :(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Didn't know that....they are no longer on my list.

So how much lift did you end up needing on the stock XJ?

What happened to the rear 4 link? Decide to go a different route?

The MJ has a totally different rear crossmember...

Are the bolt heads exposed on the bottom or is that an illusion in the pictures -- would it be possible to recess them a little more to better protect the head from deformation?

Is it possible to run just the rear? I have an xj on tons that would love a 4 link in the back....

Thank you. The problem is that IRO will not warranty that kit if you have them cut it longer than stock to accommodate the rear stretch in my xj. They cut the arms long but don't weld the outside end of the arm, and because of this there is no warranty on the kit. :(

Ya'll do realize this is a Vendor Add thread and you are discussing another vendor in it. Kind of rude/disrespectful IMHO. I am biased though because I know Andy personally. He is a small operation and works on this stuff personally. Kevin who handles his marketing is the one posting and handling sales so Andy can design this stuff and build it plus build all his standard order stuff. They were both at the Crawl this year and wheeled with us. I'm sure they will update as time permits. Last chat I had with Andy was that he was working on the coil portion of the rear link set up and had some other things going on. This is all prototyp stuff going on one of the Ironman4x4fab xj's. And they also just built the suspension got the JKS sema MJ. Give them time and they will respond and update.

*JCR sema MJ

Ya'll do realize this is a Vendor Add thread and you are discussing another vendor in it. Kind of rude/disrespectful IMHO. I am biased though because I know Andy personally. He is a small operation and works on this stuff personally. Kevin who handles his marketing is the one posting and handling sales so Andy can design this stuff and build it plus build all his standard order stuff. They were both at the Crawl this year and wheeled with us. I'm sure they will update as time permits. Last chat I had with Andy was that he was working on the coil portion of the rear link set up and had some other things going on. This is all prototyp stuff going on one of the Ironman4x4fab xj's. And they also just built the suspension got the JKS sema MJ. Give them time and they will respond and update.
I do, and you're probably correct - my apologies. It began with me asking if I could run Andy's rear kit separately and got sidetracked. My bad. So again, can I run it on its own?

I do, and you're probably correct - my apologies. It began with me asking if I could run Andy's rear kit separately and got sidetracked. My bad. So again, can I run it on its own?

Yes you can. The rear crossmember brackets weld to the frame as well. The front doesn't not need to be included, but can always be added and vice versa.

We've pretty much finished the rear coil design today. Here is a picture as to what that looks like. Options with and without an air bump mount will be available and can always be added. This system incorporates a coil retainer and allows you to adjust your ride height. The upper mounts nest on the outside of the frame rail, much like the Clayton kit for those who are familiar.

The only current kicker to this is that it is designed for WJ springs. That is because WJ coils are flat top and bottom, allowing for a flush fit.

Last edited:
So I have to ask -- Will a 4 link rear on coils have any benefit over a leaf sprung suspension on the street? How about highway speeds?

I ask because I have no idea.

So I have to ask -- Will a 4 link rear on coils have any benefit over a leaf sprung suspension on the street? How about highway speeds?

I ask because I have no idea.

Depending on springs a long arm'd rear coil will ride better and smother from what I understand.

Yes you can. The rear crossmember brackets weld to the frame as well. The front doesn't not need to be included, but can always be added and vice versa.

We've pretty much finished the rear coil design today. Here is a picture as to what that looks like. Options with and without an air bump mount will be available and can always be added. This system incorporates a coil retainer and allows you to adjust your ride height. The upper mounts nest on the outside of the frame rail, much like the Clayton kit for those who are familiar.

The only current kicker to this is that it is designed for WJ springs. That is because WJ coils are flat top and bottom, allowing for a flush fit.

So you're saying you have to cut into the frame rail like clayton does ??

Why not do it like TnT does, so you don't have to cut into the frame at all ??

So you're saying you have to cut into the frame rail like clayton does ??

Why not do it like TnT does, so you don't have to cut into the frame at all ??

From what I have seen the brackets weld to the unibody like frame stiffners do. I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I have seen the brackets weld to the unibody like frame stiffners do. I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong.

Once again I have to ask -- what would be the minimum amount of lift to fit coil springs in the rear?

Come to think of it I never got an answer on minimum lift needed for the 4 link front either...

Once again I have to ask -- what would be the minimum amount of lift to fit coil springs in the rear?

Come to think of it I never got an answer on minimum lift needed for the 4 link front either...

Considering this is a prototype and they don't have it completely together yet they may not know for sure yet. I know this is getting installed on one of the shop xj's they have. Not sure what lift is on the front of it in these pictures though.

Honestly this is designed as builders parts. I designed it around 4.5" of lift. With the adjustment, more or less lift can be used. How much depends on the builders intention. If you want no lift you will have to modify the floor but that's first grade math in the XJ world. This would also work with tall lifts because the links are so long. 40" lowers 36" uppers and 10" more than that in the rear.

Keep in mind this was never designed to be a kit where you bolt a few things together and you have generic long arms. This system is for folks who want to build real functional suspension and need a starting place. We are offering basic link packages but every one of these we have sold has been a conversation first to make sure we are matching the parts with the build.

Hey guys this is Andy, Kevin has been managing this thread while I have wildly been trying to continue developing this system to IRONMAN standards. Parts of this are still very much so in development. We have about 15 systems out being installed and used right now including one on the JCR Comanche for Sema. Looking through the questions on here I believe I answered the biggest one with my previous reply. As far as the exhaust situation there is no way around having to have exhaust work done. If you want to do a compete 4 link, with proper separation and center spreads on links the exhaust has to be modded. Most guys that are this far into a build know this. We did make offset upper link mounts at the axle but I still recommend a better angle on the down pipe under the bell housing to create a straight line with the exhaust. We are still figuring parts of this out as we test it.

Honestly this is designed as builders parts. I designed it around 4.5" of lift.

Keep in mind this was never designed to be a kit where you bolt a few things together and you have generic long arms. This system is for folks who want to build real functional suspension and need a starting place.

4.5 inches -- thats the answer I wanted to hear -- personally I have no interest with any taller than that

Builders parts, not generic long arms -- Thats what makes it appealing for me -- The build quality, at least in the pictures, seems better than "generic" -- I could easily swap in "long arms" from anyone, with a lot less fuss -- I like what you are doing -- thats why I'm here and asking questions

I'm sure this is overkill for my XJ -- Overland use on the east coast -- nothing like out west -- I'll see mostly highway to get to the places where I can get lost for a few days -- If your trying to say this 4 link isn't for me just say so -- you are the professional builder -- I'm just a 48 year old guy who has his 1st XJ with thoughts of disappearing for long weekends in New Hampshire

Back