• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Chry 8.25 Vs XJ D44 Vs Explorer 8.8

azxjman said:
yes they are the same length I have an 8.25 I Have checked and they are the exact same.

They are not the same length. I have two spare shafts sitting in the back of my jeep. I watched them come out of a 97 cherokee 29 spline 8.25. And they are different lengths.

RCP Phx said:
What gears are you running or going to?You didnt say if that 8.8 had disc brakes?My personal choice would be the D44!I dont know much about the 8.8 R+p size so maybe someone else can help out with that.For your needs I think any of three would be fine!
The 8.25 and 8.8 are C-clip axles
The 8.25 has equal length axles(make a spare easier)
The 8.25=29spline,44=30spline,8.8=31spline
The 8.25 R+P/carrier/bearing set is larger than the 44(8.8?)
The 8.25 and 8.8 do not have carrier breaks(the 8.25 only goes to 4.56)
The 8.8 you will have to weld on all the mounts

I have been trying to find out what the specs are on the 8.25" PINION and can't find them either. ANYONE HAVE THEM?

I wouldn't pay 400 for a 8.25, even though I think its an OK axle. I have a friend who wheels a 8.8 with 35s, and the pumpkin hangs down as much as my 8.25 on 31s. Its a FAT center section.
The 8.25 lip can be ground down a lot, like 3/4 and inch so it will have the same profile and clearance of a 35. I would say wait around a bit and find a 44 on message boards or on Ebay, you can get a XJ 44 shipped for 400 dollars.

Well now it doesn't matter. I asked this back in mid Dec. After all the talk about which was what, I found a great deal that I couldn't pass up. For $100.00 I got a HP D44 and a Ford 9" from a 76 - 77 ford f100 - f150. it was just a frame and axles and that's how the other guy bought it, so we're not sure exactly what it was. But the torsion bar mounts and disk brake narrow it down to those two years and models. Some day I'll be at full width baby!

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Isn't NAXJA great!!!??!!!!

Daryl

Back