• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Buildup III

You have a good thing going with the stock look, and plenty of room in the back with those flares. I don't see any reason you should fold the fenders.

yes i want to see the armor update sounds interesting and something i had in mind

Operation Armor was placed on hold......however, I have my basement primed, doors hung and trimmed, base going down this week, then time for 3-tone finish paint.

So I've got that going for me.....which is nice.

Finally got some time to post up a pic of the latest addition. Thanks to T&T for the $250 raffle cert at Winter on the Rocks.

Their D44 truss fit perfectly and was an easy install. I welded a bolt to the top to mount the e-brake cable bracket and a nut to attach the splitter block for my rear brake line.

IMG_0088_zpsd5a3f53c.jpg

what did you end up doing about the vent line? with the tnt truss?

Are you asking how I attached the vent line with the rear truss? I had already welded a bung onto my D44 housing that accepted a straight brass barb fitting, so I simply installed a new brass barb fitting with a 45* angle, which I can reach with needle nose pliers to install the vent hose.

Main tube is 1.75" DOM, hoop is 1.50" DOM and the side braces are 1" EW. I already had the 1.5 hoop from another bumper project and decided to use it, even though it was smaller than the main. Turned out OK....

Jeff, I'm curious as to what your bumper brackets are. Did you fab up some or did you buy a set? I'm going to be building a bumper in the next week or so similar to your set up and couldn't tell from your pics what you did.

Brandon, I fabbed my own brackets for my front bumper. Since then, my buddy has a CAD XJ bumper plate template and can burn them on his plasma table, if you like. Hit me via text if you need his info.

I just ran across some pics of some mods that I've done that never made it to this thread. Not every useful mod involves cutting and welding metal or custom fab. This is one that has been very useful and was a simple bolt-on.

Aluminum Door Pocket addition

When I moved up to a 2000 model and sold my 89, the door pockets were one thing that I really missed. One of our local XJers (jimmydaux) built these for late model XJ's, which provide even more storage space than the early model factory XJ door pockets and were offered with optional drink holders. They are custom molded, with mounting tabs and come complete with mounting hardware.

I scored a set which most closely matched the grey interior of my rig. Installation was simple and straight-forward. I measured where they needed to mount and provide adequate clearance for the seatbelt and seat side, then pulled off my door panels to begin the install.

IMG_6397-1.jpg

Marked the mounting holes and drilled the hole pattern in the plastic door panel, then bolted them on.

IMG_6403-1.jpg

Reinstall the door panel and enjoy!

IMG_6407-1.jpg

These are no longer for sale by jimmydaux, which is sad, but a resourceful individual could easily fab up a similar solution for their rig.

Last edited:
Brandon, I fabbed my own brackets for my front bumper. Since then, my buddy has a CAD XJ bumper plate template and can burn them on his plasma table, if you like. Hit me via text if you need his info.

I ended up buyin a set from Roxolid. 3/16" beefy brackets shipped to my door for 40$. But I would be nice to know someone with a CNC for future builds. :D

just finished reading through this whole build... looks nice. I especially love the fact that your finishing everything it a coat of paint... from the pictures it looks like a high gloss of some kind, im guessing that's to keep it easy to clean off? so I need to know what paint did you use and how does it hold up to the abuse? any chips, scratches, peeling etc?

Thanks.
I try and keep everything painted to keep the rust at bay, as they salt the roads here in Utah in the winter.
I've been pretty happy with the performance of Rustoleum paint, over a few coats of self-etching primer.

I suppose a few updates are in store, with it being 18 months since my last post. :shocked:

I noticed that this thread now has over 102,000 views, so hopefully it continues to provide value to fellow XJers.

Since I installed my air system, it has been trouble free. It supports my ARB activation, as well as airing up tires when needed.

The VIAIR 450H compressor builds 150 PSI, but their Pressure Switch/Relay P/N 90110 - 85 PSI On / 105 PSI Off leaves me with less 45 PSI than I could have access to, which would be a bonus when filling tires.

One day while with my friend Kurt Williams, owner of Cruiser Outfitters in SLC, we were talking about my air system and he mentioned that he had installed something similar in a Cruiser, but added an inline regulator to ensure that the ARB's would not see any pressure over 100 PSI, while allowing the rest of the system to utilize the full capacity of the compressor.

He pointed me in the direction of this sweet 100 PSI inline unit.

IMG_0760_zpsykdjgcoo.jpg

I added a 90 degree fitting and installed the regulator onto my air distribution manifold, which feeds both ARB switches on my console.

IMG_0757_zps5btvpdzw.jpg

inline%20Press%20Regulator_zpsec69pxno.jpg

I also replaced the VIAIR Pressure Switch with P/N 90111 - 110 PSI On / 150 PSI Off, which now allows me to fully utilize the 150 PSI max compressor output, so I can bring my tires up to street pressure more quickly after a trail run.

Wouldn't that only speed up the air up time of the first tire? After that, the tank is drained and there's not really time for it to fill back up as you walk to the next tire. As always, though, your work looks good.

Back