• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 6.5" Lift

yeah, Factory Dana 30 and 35 with 4.33 Gearing with Dertroit locker Rear and Detroit truetrac front

Then after a year or so switching to dana 60s front and rear 5.13 front and rear same lockers I already did the pricing for it i am just contempating weather to do the axle swap myself and save alot of money but it wont be done prefectly or drop another grand into it and get someone else to do it for me.

Were did you see 4.33 gears? If your not going any bigger than 35" tires Dana 60's are a waste. A 44 front and 44 Rear would be more than enough, and would be easier and cheaper to do. Don't waste money on the 30 or 35 if you plan on upgrading. Just so you know the costs involved, it costed $800(Canadian) just to regear my completely striped down XJ Dana 44. Another $290 for an Aussie locker, and another $300 for brakes and other misclleneous crap. And my Fronts going cost me over $2000 to regear and put an OZ locker in. Thats $3500 just to regear and lock up :confused1 . Not something you want to do twice.

oh yeah i meant 4.88 but i am gonna go larger than 35" as soon as i get a 8" LA Lift from Rough Country but that is all in due time not like one after another.

You will really be pushing a D35 on 35s locked, even on the road! I killed mine open on 31s!
According to most on here 31's are the max tire size for a D35, locked or not.

Research on here, there is a lot of great info from guys that have been building and wheeling XJs for many years! The Search Button is your friend.
Axle and gearing info here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80707
Hydro steering here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55711
There just isn't enough room on a 30 for hydro assist. You would need to convert the steering from the inverted "y" to do this anyway.
If you manage to get hydro assist in a D30, post up pics, I'm sure everyone would like to see it!

As for the axles, If your starting with the 32s, you should be ok as long as you don't lock the rear. A locked front end will get you a lot of places if you really want a locked axle. The D30 will hold up ok, mine is locked on 33s, I occasionally break U joints, but carry spare shafts, so it's like a 15min fix if it does break.

Please don't waste money on a D35, I see more guys regretting that one than not. Swap it out for a D44, 8.8, 9"or whatever, it will be cheaper in the long run, and you will avoid some headaches.

Jeep_Nation_XJ said:
as soon as i get a 8" LA Lift from Rough Country

I have never seen LAs from rough country...or an 8" lift, don't think they make them.

Back