• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj 44, good deal/ idea?

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
97 manual 29 8.25

Im currently sitting on a POS lift, POS tires and stock gearing. By next summer ill have all the funds and time to build up to where i want to be; TnT 5.5, 35's, otk steering, SYE, DS, 4.88s'. Because of the need for a 44 i conceded the 4.88's and planned on 4.56. Well... A friend of a few years is selling his xj 44 out of an 87 with ZJ disk conversion and an aussie locker. He wants 650 OBO so i think i can get it for about 550, its in perfect working order. Good deal? It would be great to be able to have the 44 geared and ready to go so i can throw it on with my lift and reduce the down time on install.

I was planning on getting a 44 which needed more work so i could learn all the ins and outs of the axle before i drove it. I was also thinking of an OX or ARB and not an Aussie which i havnt heard much about. Thoughts, suggestions?

Aussie is good stuff! Not selectable like Ox or ARB, but more of a lunchbox style auto locker. 550 is a good deal I think. I'd say go for it! If you don't, I just might.

Its a DD and will probably remain that way until i graduate and start making some real money, hence the thought of a selectable. I dont mind sacrificing a smoothe quiet ride on the street for better offroad capability

XJ_Vikings said:
Its a DD and will probably remain that way until i graduate and start making some real money, hence the thought of a selectable. I dont mind sacrificing a smoothe quiet ride on the street for better offroad capability

An aussie locker in the rear won't be so bad for a DD. I have a lockright in mine and if you stay off the gas when turning, you probably won't even notice it except for the clicking. Otherwise, just rotate your tires often and you'll be fine.

nah, 3.55, thought i mentioned that. Thats the downside. So 550 to 600 for the axle, ~150 for R&P, ~80 for carrier, ~200? for install.... damn this is getting expensive

Back