• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 31's and 4.56 gears?

Im looking to regear also I have a 98 XJ with a auto tranny and a 231 tranfer, Im also running 35 XTerrains... From what I gather 4.56 wont work good? I do a lot of highway driving, Im looking for the best fuel milage, power, and able to pull my trailer around once and a while.. For the best over all will 4.88s work best or should I go bigger? Looking for answer from the same....

XTrmXJ said:
Im looking to regear also I have a 98 XJ with a auto tranny and a 231 tranfer, Im also running 35 XTerrains... From what I gather 4.56 wont work good? I do a lot of highway driving, Im looking for the best fuel milage, power, and able to pull my trailer around once and a while.. For the best over all will 4.88s work best or should I go bigger? Looking for answer from the same....

If you have 4.56s now, then dont change.

If your higher than that, then go to the 4.88s.

I dont have the gears yet Ive just been looking around for the best prices and stuff first before I get some... Tax Refund Baby...

hjeepxj said:
Yeah, 4.56s is mostly back to stock with 33s. And 4.10s for 31s.

I really wish there was a 4.27:1 ratio for the high pinion D30.

r@m

Root Moose said:
I really wish there was a 4.27:1 ratio for the high pinion D30.

r@m

For what? 32s? :angel: :laugh2: :cheers:

Or to compensate for the extra mass of 31s in general.

D44 comes in 4.27, and I think D30 (low pinion) does also - just no HP 4.27.

r@m

XTrmXJ said:

Keep in mind that if you have a 8.25 axle, 4.56 is the max you can go....

Back