• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 1999 - Infinity OEM sound - Need wiring diagram to the amplifier and other info

fangio76

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

First thing first : Hi everyone! All of you guys rock.
I have been reading for a while and many of you have already helped me a lot in the past...
I finally had to sign-up because I could not find info about the following matters ANYWHERE on the internet (and even the dealership is not cooperating). I hope you guys can help me out.

Here it goes :

I have been trying to upgrade my OEM Infinity sound system on my 1999 Cherokee Classic. It's got the two tweeters on the door sail (with "infinity" written above their grille), two 5,25" in the lower part of the door (which pump a nice line of mid-bass), and two dome 5,25" (wich have no bass whatsoever) in the rear.

- My OEM amp has these part numbers on it : 56007653AD 36670
how many watts is my factory amp? I hear it could be a 120W, a 240W or a 360W... does anyone know how to tell?

I don't mind the speakers, they sound pretty good as it is except for the rear ones which have no balls (and if by any chance it's been a puny 120W amp driving them all along, it means I can still get more out of them...) and with the twin 12" subs I put in the back last year the sound is already pretty "full"... Besides that, I went on to buy a 400W (4 channel) Audiobahn amp, and I am planning to use it to push the four 5,25" (front and rear), and keep the factory amp to run just the tweets...

The setup in the front (the 2 tweets + 2 door speakers) has obviously some kind of crossover to pass the highs to the tweets and the lows to the door speakers (which are probably just full-range speakers with a low-pass somewhere, which explains the nice mid-bass).

- My question is, are these filters wired-in at some point of the speaker harness or are they built-in crossovers within the amplifier?
The reasoning behind keeping the factory amp (as opposed to running everything out of the Audiobahn) is that I am lazy and if all the signal crossovers are built into the Infinity amp it would mean that to swap every speaker to the Audiobahn I would have to run the front channel in full-band and mess around with bass-blockers or low-pass filters or crossovers etc. (unless there are already filters somewhere in the factory speaker harness... 'cause that would change everything and I would just ditch the Infinity amp)....

Also :

I know the OEM speakers are 2 ohm and that the factory Infinity amp is a 4 channel with 6 speaker outputs (part# for the amp is . From what I understand the front tweets are not wired in series with the speakers in the lower part of the door, and there should be 6 pair of speaker output wires coming out of the amp. The amp is under the backseat (drivers side) and has 2 harnesses plugging into it (I am obviously assuming that one plug is the signal inputs plus the power, and the other is the speaker outputs); The first connector (from left to right if looking at the amp from outside the driver-side rear door) is a 14 pin with 12 wires in it (this should be the speaker output wires) and the second is a 10 pin with 9 wires in it, one of wich is the "typical" blue color of the remote-power wire.

What I need is the pin-out of these connectors with or without the complete wiring diagram for this sound system *that would really kick ass*

Thank you all in advance :listenmus

Re: XJ 1999 - Infinity OEM sound - Need wiring diagram to the amplifier and other info

sorry for cross-posting... I got an error the forst time and I thought it didn't work. newbie...

Re: XJ 1999 - Infinity OEM sound - Need wiring diagram to the amplifier and other info

I would keep the amp, and upgrade the speakers to 6-1/2's. The Infinity amp is a decent unit overall, and in other Chrysler vehicles that have bigger speakers the system sounds great. The tweeters are run directly off the headunit, and IIRC there is a highpass crossover built right into them. You say you are buying a Pioneer headunit? Unless it is one of the low end models it should have a highpass crossover for the front/rear channels, and a low pass crossover for the sub output. If you go with 6-1/2 all the way around 80hz would be a good choice, and if you stay with the 5-1/4s 100hz, or 120hz would be ideal. Also if your wandering. The Infinity amp uses high level inputs so you won't need any kind of abnormal converter to make it work. Just a standard install kit will be fine. Oh I have been told it's around 50w a channel RMS

scoobyxj said:
I would keep the amp, and upgrade the speakers to 6-1/2's.

Too late for that. I just replaced a blown Infinity front door speaker with a brand new one (70 freaking $$$) and already bought an Audiobahn 4 channel amplifier :roll: Maybe In the future I'll change the speakers too, but I really don't feel like cutting a larger hole in the door metal frame.

scoobyxj said:
The tweeters are run directly off the headunit, and IIRC there is a highpass crossover built right into them. You say you are buying a Pioneer headunit?

No, I am keeping my factory head unit.
Are you sure about the tweets being wired directly to the OEM head unit? And what does IIRC mean? I apologize for my ignorance.

fangio76 said:
Too late for that. I just replaced a blown Infinity front door speaker with a brand new one (70 freaking $$$) and already bought an Audiobahn 4 channel amplifier :roll: Maybe In the future I'll change the speakers too, but I really don't feel like cutting a larger hole in the door metal frame.

No, I am keeping my factory head unit.
Are you sure about the tweets being wired directly to the OEM head unit? And what does IIRC mean? I apologize for my ignorance.

If you just replaced it with another Infinity OEM speaker then you got hosed. You could have gotten a nice set of speakers for $70. Also as long as you watch the depth of the basket a 6.5 will drop in the holes just fine. At least I didn't have any trouble on my 00. Unless that amp has speaker level inputs on it it won't work with the factory hedunit "cause it doesn't have preamp outputs. "IIRC' means If I Remember Correctly. The tweeters are wired in parallel with the front door speakers.

ok, I found the wiring diagram and everything... The mid-woofers are wired parallel with the tweets, and the tweets have a built in crossover... so none of that was inside the amp after all...

I have one more question :
The Ohm rating is NOT written on the back of any of those speakers...
Can anyone help me out with that? I am interested mainly in the front components, the 1" tweets (i think that's how big they are) in the door sail and the two front mid-woofers. I hear they are 2 Ohms... Does that mean they RUN on 2 Ohms because they are wired parallel (and therefore are rated 4 Ohms) or are they actually RATED 2ohm (which would actually make them 1ohm if wired seprately, and I think that's hard to believe)?
Please help!!! I am going insane.
thanks

scoobyxj said:
If you just replaced it with another Infinity OEM speaker then you got hosed.

Yes I did... but I needed something headeache-free I could slap on to get me going... I am looking to replace them with two 6.5" Kickers midrange/midbass drivers. I am planning to sell my factory components on Ebay as soon as I get the new stuff. :rof:

scoobyxj said:
Unless that amp has speaker level inputs on it it won't work with the factory hedunit cause it doesn't have preamp outputs.

The amp is hooked up with a PAC OEM-1 kit... it's working fine with my OEM head unit.:guitar:

Ok, so far I had only looked on the back of the driver's side tweeter... passenger side has a sticker that says 4 ohm.
Still found no rating for the other 4 speakers (although I can only assume the whole system runs at 2 ohm; so the front woofers must be 4 Ohm, and the rear speakers 2 ohm. However you never know with this factory crap.)

PS - Now I got my two 12" JL in the trunk on their own amp... The Audiobahn amp is pushing my front components, and the factory amp is doing only the rear speakers.... I am about to yank out those rear speakers and put a set of 5.25" Sony X-plod I had sitting in my garage (I also have a set of JVC that are rated a little bit higher... but i havent made up my mind yet)

Last edited:

Ok.... my project is almost completed.

For the front I ordered a set of Audiobahn Components (ABC6002V)... they are 6.5" ... Hopefully they'll fit in the 5" hole in the door (where the 5.25" were) without any filing or cutting or adding spacers and what not. They are 200W RMS / 400W peak, and they'll be pushed by the 400W Audiobahn amp (A4004V).
For the rear I got a set of Infinity Kappa 52.7i, they are 5.25", 55W RMS, and they are rated 2 ohm... They will be pushed by the good ol' 120W Infinity factory amp...
And, of course, I still got my dual 12" JL subs in the back, 4 ohm, with their own 800W amp....
yeah... it's gonna be thumpin'... :D

BTW - If anyone needs the wiring diagram for the infinity premium factory sound, I can provide it. Just send me an email ;)

The 6.5" Audiobahn came in today... they did NOT fit for squat. I'd have to use a 1" spacer and cut out the factory speaker grille on the door panel. and still they'd end up sticking outwards of the door panel, and mounting their aftermarket grille would be quite a royal pain in the ass (if not right out impossible) and absolutely unpractical.
A flush-mount is also impossible as the edges of the hole in the door would be in the way of the larger speaker. So... I am gonna have to ship them back (aaaaaaaaarrrgghh!!) and exchange them for the same type speaker but in a 5.25" size. That's cause I wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to cutting a larger hole on the sheet metal with a sawz-all (!!!! I can already her myself going "Oh, s**t!!" and I shiver at the thought). And even if I was told what to do and how, I am almost positive the result of ME doing it would be very ugly as well as very irreversible. Dremel-ing it around the edges with a bur may work and come out clean, but I suspect it'd take forever, and I would end up with tiny metal shavings everywhere inside the door.
Damn' it!

Last edited:

fangio76 said:
The 6.5" Audiobahn came in today... they did NOT fit for squat. I'd have to use a 1" spacer and cut out the factory speaker grille on the door panel. and still they'd end up sticking outwards of the door panel, and mounting their aftermarket grille would be quite a royal pain in the ass (if not right out impossible) and absolutely unpractical.
A flush-mount is also impossible as the edges of the hole in the door would be in the way of the larger speaker. So... I am gonna have to ship them back (aaaaaaaaarrrgghh!!) and exchange them for the same type speaker but in a 5.25" size. That's cause I wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to cutting a larger hole on the sheet metal with a sawz-all (!!!! I can already her myself going "Oh, s**t!!" and I shiver at the thought). And even if I was told what to do and how, I am almost positive the result of ME doing it would be very ugly as well as very irreversible. Dremel-ing it around the edges with a bur may work and come out clean, but I suspect it'd take forever, and I would end up with tiny metal shavings everywhere inside the door.
Damn' it!
Before you send those back see if the new 5.25 you got for the rear fit in there better. If they do put the New Kappas in the doors, and the Audiobahns on the rear. The rear is just a cardboard like material that is easily trimmed. I have a set of Alpine 6.25's in my doors that fit just fine in fact the hole is on the edge of being to big for the speakers. Also IIRC the factory units where the same size. Although my XJ is a 2000 I wasn't aware that the speakers where any different than the 97-99.

scoobyxj said:
Before you send those back see if the new 5.25 you got for the rear fit in there better. If they do put the New Kappas in the doors, and the Audiobahns on the rear. The rear is just a cardboard like material that is easily trimmed. I have a set of Alpine 6.25's in my doors that fit just fine in fact the hole is on the edge of being to big for the speakers. Also IIRC the factory units where the same size. Although my XJ is a 2000 I wasn't aware that the speakers where any different than the 97-99.

Thanks again for your input man...
I am undecided about the wole thing... maybe I can get a custom-stereo shop to make the holes bigger for me... although I don't know if they'd go for it since I did not buy anything from them...
After doing some measurements I came up with a mounting width of 5.25" on the 6.5" new speakers.... the factory hole is 5" wide... That means I'd have to file-off just over 1/4 inch and the speakers would fit... If I went that way I would not only get the speakers I actually wanted in the first place, but I would also avoid having to deal with returns, shipping and so on... I am very tempted... How hard is that metal anyway? would it be practical to shave off 1/4" with a bur on a dremel? or would it take me 3 days and 5 brand new burs? I really don't want to return them, they are really nice speakers... :helpme:

Personaly if it where me I would make the 6.25's fit. The door metal is sheet metal just like anything else. If you have a jig saw (using a metal blade), or even a hack saw you won't have any trouble cutting it. You might even be able to do it with tin snips if your strong enough (it's a little thick for that though). Put painters masking tape over where you will be cutting to keep the paint from chipping off, and then paint the bare metal edge after you're done. One thing other thing you need to check out before you go through all the trouble is to make sure the speakers magnet won't hit the window when it's all the way down. I didn't have any trouble when I put mine in, but when I bought my speakers the shop guys said that some speakers will hit. However the Alpines I bought shouldn't have an issue.

I went to the local custom stereo shop... They wanted 100$ ti make the holes larger, cut another 2 holes for the tweets wherever I want them, and they are gonna wire it all in for me as well... with the hidden crossovers and everything... So, I went for it... *sucker* but at least I saved myself a headache and I am going to actually have it all working tomorrow.

Hey Aussie, I'd start looking elsewhere if I were you. Perhaps someone else has that diagram handy, but fangio76, according to his profile, was last active on June 16, 2007. I don't expect him to pop on here anytime soon!

And by the way, I'm extremely jealous that you have an XJ in Australia. I've about got the Old Telegraph Track memorized from watching YouTube videos. Gunshot is one of my "bucket list" obstacles!

Back