• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

X-Factor... 2001 XJ Build

so stuffing the frame with 2"X4" seemed like a great idea on paper but when i cut them open to take a look i ran into a few snags...

first off the drivers side has fuel fill and return lines running through the frame rails.. i was actually only able to get half the total length of the 2x4 in on the drivers side, the other half needed to be notched to clear the lines.. this notch can be seen in the picture of the pieces after i drilled them and before i painted.. the other obstruction on the drivers side is a hole that has been dimpled so that it sticks out on the inside of the frame, i just bent it back out and hammered it back in place after i installed the 2x4.. problem solved!!

the passengers side was relatively unobstructed except for a small tab that's on the bottom of the frame... i hammered away at this tab but the tacks wouldn't give so i drilled them out.. i guess i could have just notched the 2x4 to clear this tab... the same dimpled hole was on the passengers side and was delt with the same way.... bent away then hammered back

the only other thing that needs to be done on both sides is a hole needs to be drilled out for the leaf spring bolt to pass into the 2x4... i used a 5/8" drill bit to do this and it gave the bolt plenty of room...

i used
1/8" - 2"x4" - 21" long x 2 pieces
1/4" - 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" - 18 1/2" long x 2 pieces
1/4" - 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" - 8 1/4" long receiver hitch
1/4" - 1 1/2" x 18" long x 2 pieces "straps"
1/4" - 2 1/2" x 4" long x 4 pieces "tabs"
9/16" drill bit
5/8" drill bit
1/2" drill bit
8 x 9/16" grade 8 bolts, nuts, washers
8 x 10mm grade 8 bolts and washers

measured from the stock bumper mounting holes, the 2x4 sticks out of the frame rail 5 1/4".... i marked a line on both pieces and also marked the location of the forward most mounting hole on the 2x4, this helped me line up the 2x4 on the gas tank skid to mark where the rest of the hole need to be drilled.. now heres the problem.. i wanted to use 9/16" mounting hardware and none of the holes where big enough.. so the frame and skid needed to be drilled out to take 9/16" hardward, i used a 5/8" drill to make the hole slightly larger so mounting would be easier... i also drilled out the 2x4 with 5/8".
i then made two straps 1 1/5" wide 18" long and drill them out using a 9/16" drill bit, screwed in the nuts and bolts., tacked the nuts down and removed the bolts. i then slide the 2x4 into the frame rail, slid the straps in and bolted the rails down.. i then welded on the tabs for the rear mounts, i think i drilled those out with a 1/2 drill bit. i welded these to the 2x4.
i then welded the 2 pieces of 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" to the reiciever and slide the whole thing into the holes that i cut out of the 2x4.. centered and welded welded them together. i did most of the welding with the hitch bolted in tight then removed it to finish a few welds. slide out no problem!!!

the only mod that needs to be done to the bumper besides cutting out the hitch hole was welding the bumper mounting bracket to the bumper and cutting off the inner mounts... the top weld proved to be pointless as it was cut away.. so basically only the outter two bumper mount bolts are used to hold the stock bumper on... i needed to cut the inside mount and a little bumper away for final fitment.

and done!!

fuel lines

271.jpg

weld here!!

273.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post a picture showing where you mount your sway bar discos (while they're disconnected) up in the wheel well like in that last picture? Thanks!

The build looks great by the way! I'll get JK axles some day, although mine will probably be an inheritance after my dad steps his Rubi up to 60s. If I do get his 44s some day they're stuffed with 5.38 gears and factory E-Lockers, I can't wait!

I like that hitch. Way better than anything out there.

Can you post a picture showing where you mount your sway bar discos (while they're disconnected) up in the wheel well like in that last picture? Thanks!

The build looks great by the way! I'll get JK axles some day, although mine will probably be an inheritance after my dad steps his Rubi up to 60s. If I do get his 44s some day they're stuffed with 5.38 gears and factory E-Lockers, I can't wait!
I'll snap a shot of them when I make it back to my truck in a couple days... It's a clever setup.. One that could be easily duplicated!!

so been a little busy enjoying my new hitch and bike ramp... havent had much time for the truck... but i did need to cut out some holes for pin access... i may remake the 2"x2" hitch portion of the bike ramp and bend the back of it up where the strap ties in for a better departure angle for when i have the bike with me
wootrock.gif

277-1.jpg

280-1.jpg

281.jpg

Last edited:

sorry voteban!! ill snap a shot of the mounts for you tomorrow!! slipped my mind :dunno:

since i had no tow point front or rear i thought it might be a good time to make one!! so i picked up a piece of 2"x2" and a 6 1/2ton d ring and made a reciever hitch d ring hook up!!
just gotta paint it!!

293.jpg

292.jpg

295.jpg

296.jpg

That hitch is awesome, great idea. I am starting to see the downsides of my rear hitch for offroading. It hangs down way too far.

Nice looking XJ!

with the lift and axle swap outta the way... on to some of the good stuff!!

207.jpg

226.jpg

228.jpg

How do those bushwhacker flares attach. Ive been looking at them for my jeep but in trimmed pretty high, itd be tough to get them to fit without getting some front fender skins I think.

How do those bushwhacker flares attach. Ive been looking at them for my jeep but in trimmed pretty high, itd be tough to get them to fit without getting some front fender skins I think.
theres two pieces of plastic that are attached by a series of nuts and bolts... i think theres a pdf instruction on bushwakers site... but when i was installing them i was looking to see if there was a way to raise the fronts up a bit... it can be done with some trimming of the flare it self, given the rocker lines may be off a bit but it can be done and when i get my 35s it will most likely will need to be done... if i do the mod ill post some pics!!

got some head!! this thing was a mess when i took it off the truck!! had a check engine light come on and after a scan it revealed to me that there was a miss fire on two cylinders... did some trouble shooting with help from a good buddy.. decided to rebuild the head and clean up the pistons. gonna be putting it back together today so i hope she purrs again... if not im gonna throw rocks at myself....

302.jpg

304.jpg

305.jpg

307.jpg

309.jpg

Nice work on the pistons - what'd you use to clean em up? I put a new head in my '97 from Alabama Cylinder head - less money for a new head shipped from Florida to B.C. than it was to get a re-manned head up here in B.C.! Man, parts are expensive in Canada!

Nice work on the pistons - what'd you use to clean em up? I put a new head in my '97 from Alabama Cylinder head - less money for a new head shipped from Florida to B.C. than it was to get a re-manned head up here in B.C.! Man, parts are expensive in Canada!

i used a wire brush on a air tool at a low rpm.. i did this when the piston was at top dead center.

so its been awhile since i have posted but this does not mean that i have been slackin off!! so far im very happy with my build and had it out a half dozen times wheelin some local trails here in Vancouver BC.. trucks running great since i had the head done and hasent caused me reason to believe that anything is gonna change.

so i have a few things on the go and have a few things that i added on the to do list....

- bar pin eliminators
- shackle relocation for better angle and flex/droop
- rocksliders/air storage for on board air

ill be working on these projects over the next week so ill be sure to post some pics of my strugles and what not...

Back