• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: CB Radio...Where and how much?

srt-iz

NAXJA Forum User
I really need a CB and donno anything about them. What do i need and how much sould I spend?
I dont want anything fancy and the cheaper the better...Any help is appreciated...TIA!

You should be able to find a basic radio for around $50. Check truck stops, radio shack, cb stores in the area. A lot of folks like firestik for an antenna- not sure on the $$ for that. I have a Wilson 1000 and really like it. I think it was around $70 but I don't remember.

Good luck

I recommend hitting up a CB shop near a truck stop. Most of the time they can point you in the right direction. Of course the amount you want to spend is really going to dictate how nice of a radio you can get. Some of the higher end radios with higher end antennas will get your 25-35 miles of range, but if you are like most of us, a mile or two would be plenty for you. I just like to be able to talk to others who are on the trails with me, so if that is what you are looking for I recommend a good middle of the road unit (50-70 bucks), and a decent antenna (can be had for less than 30 bucks.) CB shops at Truck stops carry everything you should need, and most of them are pretty straight people who won't over sell you.

Cool thanks! Is there any brands i should be looking for or stay away from? 50 bucks sounds reasonable for the CB. (to me anyways)
I see alot of the COBRA 40 brand. Is it pretty good?

Try www.craigslist.org if you want something used an cheaper.
In my opinion Cobra 25 is good enough for starting, you can get em at truck stops or even walmart for about 80 bucks.
dont buy Cobra 19, that is piece of sh--- I bougth 7 radios at the same time,for me and some friends, and after 3months only two were working, now they got no radios and I got no friends lol (kidding)

Last edited:
Cool. Ima try and get one today and install tonight. We're going on a night run tomorrow night to 3 feathers and chimney.

That place out by TTT truck stop HOOKED me up last year. I got a nice Uniden PEAKED AND TUNED with antenna and cable for like 120.00 out the door. Now I can hit I-10 from golflinks and Houghton area and NEVER have a problem off-road getting people a long ways away.
I had an el-cheapo before and DONT regret buying a good one.

Lata

I just ordered my CB, speaker, and antenna on Thursday from a friend who owns a store. Should be here Mon. or Tues.
-Black Chrome Cobra 29 LTD
-Cobra Noise Canceling Speaker
-Wilson 1000 Roof mount

In all it cost me $201 including shipping. I did however, get a 10% discount for being with the same club as him (not NAXJA, but he's on here too....I think).:D

i would say do not skimp on the antenna. i have a good quality cobra radio (cant remember what model but i have seen it in a good number of big rigs) and i am on my second magnetic mount antenna. i dont remember what the first one was, but the one i have now i got in moab at the 06 fall fling after i broke the other one. i cant hardly hear $h!t except the rig in front or behind me and even that can be difficult.

im heading to apollo comunications on monday to get a wilson antenna and a mount

Back