• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wow, why did i wait so long?

air your bfg's down, Mike, you'll be much happier at 28psi -- I never was a fan of the BFG At though, a set of siped MT's is an all around better performer. congrats on the gears, as one of the guys who told you so ;) your front lunchbox should be invisible in 2wd, if its not, something aint right.

I agree, air them down. I'm on my second set of A/Ts (31s), run them at 27psi, and have been very happy with them, wet and dry.

Yeah, I like the much larger pins that the Spartan uses. Just wondered if it's as noisy.... but that's hard to tell in a front locker. Dunno that I'd wanna give up a Powertrax for the rear in favor of a Spartan since the rear clacking can get pretty annoying and people look at your rig like it's about to explode......... unless it's a Powertrax installed in an 8.25. For some reason, the Powertrax No Slip lockers don't do well in the 8.25's.......... I think Beezle can attest to that.......

I think my Powertrax problem was due to a improper install. The clocking on the cam gears have to be perfect when installed or they won't mesh up later. When I first installed it the cross shaft had some wear marks that I didn't think anything of, but when I broke it and took it apart it made me wonder if it had been installed incorrectly before. Then I installed it wrong again and it gave up on me :dunno:

The locker I broke in Moab was an Aussie, which I think was a factory defect. I installed this last one with almost the exact same tolerances and it hasn't unloaded or made the racket like the one I broke did.

Maybe its just my 8.25 that doesn't like lockers? :)

if i ever have to pull a shaft on the trail, i might scream. in fact im thinkin about just getting spiders to put in for trail fix, cuz it is a royal PITA to put together, 8 springs on carrier and then 2-double springs on each side, grrrrrrr

if i had to buy a rear, id do another spartan or another aussie

Spare spider gears are a good idea, that's what saved me in Moab.

Plus getting those damn c-clips out of the Powertrax can be an SOB!!! Takes a lot of "hey, turn it to the left, nah right, awww chit too much, back the other way" kinda stuff.

yes and no....
youll never catch me in snow/ice with dual lockers again......
aa74177e.jpg

they can be best friend or worst nightmare in the wet stuff. just depends...
just recently found out, someone in the group after us, rolled in the exact same spot, ended up on their lid

You were a bit of a wheelin noob before this and now you have aquired some knowledge and experience in the art of snow wheelin :spin1: To bad your experience came at the cost of a well build XJ....:eye:

The parts off of that cursed white-formerly-yellow biatch has taken vengeance on more than one of us for the abuse it endured (not all at Mike's hands, obviously):(

The locker doesn't grab or pop. It's very definitely not locking up. On slow tight turns it just clicks like crazy. Adding more gear oil eased the noise. Drives fine. Just listening and being picky since it's new parts.

try some 75-140 gear oil, that quieted down my aussie a bit, though it was still obnoxious.

its not what you would think, with the RIGHT tires.

BFG A/T's are NOT the right tire.

im having more traction issues ON THE STREET, in the rain or slush than i did with my Kevlars.
i dont know if its the pressure (running 35psi now as compared to 27 in the kevlars for street use) or that these tires have maybe hardened up, but they suck. there is no ifs ands or buts. id rather run michelin highway tires than these tires again, they are a joke.

The best pressure for BFG's is 25! I have tried several different pressures and 25 is the best!

The parts off of that cursed white-formerly-yellow biatch has taken vengeance on more than one of us for the abuse it endured (not all at Mike's hands, obviously):(
It was Led's run through carnage that pissed it off and cursed parts. The very next day a u-joint let go on chinamens and it was down hill from there.

The best pressure for BFG's is 25! I have tried several different pressures and 25 is the best!
Depends on the size and width. My 33x11.5 BFG AT retreads are great at 25, that I will agree with.

Well, as "great" as they're gonna get.

I run em down to "when they get quiet and then start squealing if I pull the valve stem core" when wheeling, which turns out to be around 10 to 14psi.

Depends on the size and width. My 33x11.5 BFG AT retreads are great at 25, that I will agree with.

Well, as "great" as they're gonna get.

I run em down to "when they get quiet and then start squealing if I pull the valve stem core" when wheeling, which turns out to be around 10 to 14psi.

Yeah, I should have stated my tire size 315/75R16. This is the sweet spot for this tire size!

Back