• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wounded Warrior Build The Raptured Duck buggy

Tizzyusmc

NAXJA Forum User
I apologize in advance if this is not where I should post a build thread.

So here it is- back story and all it's glory.

I have been an Offroad enthusiast since the day I was born. I love being out in the wilderness and pushing metal and machine to its limits. Ain't nothing better than being behind the wheel on some back woods trail in the middle of no where.

I enlisted in to the Marine Corps giving up most of that joy I experienced and the time to be out on trails. Back to back deployments and MEU's kept me from family, friends and my beloved hobby. In 2011 while deployed in the Helmand Province, I got hurt. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and this has resulted in not being able to continue on with a career in the USMC. Things became extremely hard for my wife and I. If the brain bleeding and seizures weren't enough, I fell in to a state of depression. I closed the world off. One day the wife came up with the idea of getting a jeep and getting back to something I used to love doing. At first I was hesitant and pushed back. But low and behold she came home with a jeep a few days later! After the initial shock that my wife just bought a jeep with out discussing it with me, we drove around and something just felt different. Something I hadn't experienced in a few years, Joy and happiness. We started planning trips on the weekend and eventually started meeting other prior service members. My whole life turned around and I haven't been more happy.

You might ask why does all this matter?

Well there are thousands of individuals that feel exactly how I did after returning from combat. Some things we see, do and have been through are so tough that it leads your mind to a different place. I can't stand by and watch a fellow brother or sister fall into the same thing I did or have thoughts I had.

Drew keys (retired USMC sniper) and myself came up with the idea to build a buggy that could allow other wounded warriors or other military members drive during runs. Let them catch the bug as I did and get some joy back in there life.

We decided to push through and pay out of pocket to see it come to life and hopefully help change a few life's.

This thread is dedicated to the building of "The Raptured Duck" buggy.

We started by purchasing a 1990 xj limited
ypapeja8.jpg

$800 is what this beauty of a jeep cost us.

After a 2 hour drive north to get it we got it back here to the shop in fallbrook. Our minds wondering about the death and destruction it held in its future.

I purchased some used coil overs off of Craigslist for about $2000

e5yqe9uq.jpg

Then the work started!

We had to stop for a few days due to the rain. We kept staring at this class 4 car frame hanging up. Well we decided to pull her down and measure. It was a perfect match for what we were trying to accomplish. So we started hacking and widening it up, while we waited for the rain to stop.

aru7ejej.jpg
amy7eraq.jpg
yjugyqer.jpg
2a3e3yvu.jpg

Eventually the rain stopped and yesterday we resumed the chop shop style.

zyqejutu.jpg

Cut everything down to bare bones.

Even cut about 2 miles of wiring out of the damn thing.
2u9yde9y.jpg

Resumed cutting..and re welding the axles to be able to move her around

3ubysyzu.jpg

jume6ahu.jpg
rumu8abe.jpg
2edy8y8y.jpg

Got her sliced down and back in the shop to lower frame on here.

y3a9arur.jpg
yjeqymu8.jpg
a2a9eqys.jpg

Ill update as we go. I'm about to coverall up and start boxing the frame in and getting her square!

If your interested in helping with the project or have some old parts laying around. Feel free to pm me or email me at [email protected]

I really like why you guys are doing this.

What is your build list composed of? Axles? Tires? What size coilovers?

I appreciate it, yeah we are hoping it helps. Even if it just helps 1 brother or sister then it's served it's point and is all worth it! If not atleast we are still bringing awareness of what's happening to fellow Marines and other members after combat.

Axles are 96 TJ take offs donated to us by Larry McRae at PSC. I think it's Dana 30 and 35? We had a guy say he was donating the 8 bolt ford 3/4 tons we needed for our wheels- but when I got to his shop he said $1700, so needless to say we bounced and keep these TJ axles and are going that route.

Tires and wheels are off a humvee so 37's on 16.5 beadloocks. Going to have a machine shop measure the inside circles and cut me 5 plates, weld them to the centers and re drill the 5 on 4.5 pattern.

Coils are King 2.5's 18" travel

Steering is stock for now till I can save up enough to get a redneck ram kit.

Using the stock gas tank as well to get it moving until we find a cheap fuel cell and pump on Clist.

Serious question, I see you building a buggy, but what was the point of the Jeep?

True-fully we started with the intention of keep the cherokee body and everything. But after running numbers of weight and my ideas of making it The Raptured Duck, we decided to go with a buggy. That and one night a plasma cutter got brought out after a few Pacifico beers and the top vanished, we kinda could not turn back....lol

im down for the re center/cut n weld on the 16.5s. but we cant do 5 on 4.5, gotta get you guys a 14 bolt. we do have a flipped d60 at the shop sitting on the shelf thats goin nowhere fast as well......

30/35 on 37s would make it the retarded gay duck build

stock-illustration-13742086-stupid-duck.jpg

needs to be more like this

Canards_oiseaux.jpg

True very true.....lol

Funds are low, so gotta go with what we got. :/

Yeah I think I'm actually going to leave center metal and weld the plate to that for added strength. Just gotta find a machine shop to cut me steel the exact circumstance we need.

my work IS a machine shop.

True very true.....lol

Funds are low, so gotta go with what we got. :/

Yeah I think I'm actually going to leave center metal and weld the plate to that for added strength. Just gotta find a machine shop to cut me steel the exact circumstance we need.

A keg of keystone it is....lol

I got some time wed, ill could bring the bead lock side of the rim, beer and steaks if y'all got a BBQ at the shop?!?

Looks like a good project for a good cause. Ben/Dumptruck is one of our wounded, and he works at a pretty decent machine shop (LOL -- Hi, Jack!).

Is that you sporting the skull scar, wearing the welding helmet?

Looks like a good project for a good cause. Ben/Dumptruck is one of our wounded, and he works at a pretty decent machine shop (LOL -- Hi, Jack!).

Is that you sporting the skull scar, wearing the welding helmet?

Thanks!

No that's nick, he is another wounded vet like me. I am currently extremely lucky and have avoided having to go through full cranial, like he did. the scars in my brain still bleed and they have suggested it, but we have seen good results with medication to control it and they were able to reach one spot by removing my sinus' and endoscoplically going up. Kinda crazy stuff they can do these days.

Yes, it's better to be managing wounds today than back in the days of leeches & bloodletting, for sure!

Back