• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you pay $4500 for

And It doesn't have a Fram Oil Filter:D, so the engine is not as gone as it could be. What oil has he been running?

mikeforte said:
I have the greatest respect for Nick(53guy) but I would buy that in a heartbeat for that price. I have enjoyed the build up on my piece of junk but that just has too many good parts on it for that price.
Yes it may have been run hard but so has half of our own Jeeps so what. Thats what they were intended for in the first place. Thats what we do.

surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif
I would buy it, as well. It would help to know the previous owner for several reasons.

1. Why did he sell it.
2. Did he know how to "wheel".
3. After market stuff installed as DIY mod or a shop.

I don't know how it is in every state but, here they have to supply the previous owners name. Call him and ask why he dumped it. Maybe he moved up, lost interest or needed money bad. He has no reason to lie to you. If, you do call ask what he got out of it. It has sat there to long for some reason.

All these low prices you all are mentioning for 97+'s are making me kinda sad... I bought my 99 for 11k in 2002, with like 20k on the clock.. I still owe like a good 4k or something on it...

I got mine for $3500 with a one year warranty. Not a scratch or spot of rust on it. Only had 80k miles. I was on my way to get a 97 with 150+ miles for 4300 when I spotted it at a lot down the road from where I live. After six months of off roadin it doesn't look so hot anymore. I think I hit one too many trees.

11k makes me cry!

I'd give 4500 for it, lots of good quality parts, so what if it needs some work here or there, Fact of the matter is you are NOT going to build one of that caliber for the same money. If you are looking for a DD I'd look elsewhere, but for a trail/driver this looks to be one hell of a deal. Stock XJ's around here go for more than that with 150k on the ticker.

Body is beat to crap, but the aftermarket parts are worth it.

ARB bumper $1000
ARB pump & lockers (2) $1800
Warn winch $700
Lift $1400
Rear bumper, I would guess $700
Intake $150
Frame stiffener $200.
Gas tank skid plate $200.

$5250 in add ons. I would buy it. If you can find a clean body, maybe swap the parts. You can figure $4-6k in labor.

I looked at a 98 w/ 83k stock, $8500. 96 stock w/ 78k $6500, 98 stock w/ 77k $7000

thanks for the advice guys. I understand the folks saying theres pride in buildin your own rig. and thats true, but the fact is, I could never build something like this with my budget. all those parts + labor is a lot of money.

the rig does seem like it was used for wheeling, but hey, thats what it was meant for. the guy actually used his rig.

I would love to hear from the previous owner. the used car salesman said he bought it at auction, so i am separated atleast 2 degrees from the previous owner. if any one recognizes this rig than let me know.

at this point the cars been on the lot for close to a month, so i feel like i may be able to talk him down on price, and with all the parts on it, even if it dies on me, i could part it out and make most of my money back.

I took the car for probably a 30 min test drive. ran it on the interstate, and some dirt roads, on a hot day. no overheating issues. soaks up the bumps nice, and i cant be sure, but it looks like everything was installed by someone whos knew what they were doing, professional or not.

the body is beat up...has a couple cracks in wind shield, and i am worried about water gettin in on that dent where the rear window is, but I am not too worried about the asthetics. the rig looks real utilitarian in person. some one obviously had alot of money to put this together. maybe they had their fun, and moved on to something else.

any way, im still lettin this marrinate for now i guess. maybe ill try to talk him down this week. all the steel work is makin me want this thing

ThE HiV said:
.......................I would love to hear from the previous owner. the used car salesman said he bought it at auction, so i am separated atleast 2 degrees from the previous owner. if any one recognizes this rig than let me know...........

Used car (and new car) salesmen are, for the most part, liars! There are some very decent ones but, they are far and few between. I know, my stepfather was one. Belly up and pay for a yrs. subscription to Carfax and it is money well spent.

He is blowing smoke up your a_s. Find the original owner and spend 10 minutes with him on the phone at his convience!

Google your state laws because I thought that providing previous owner's names were federally mandated. The auction house needs to provide where they got it. It is worth the time.

F9K9 said:
Belly up and pay for a yrs. subscription to Carfax and it is money well spent.

Carfax is a waste of cash. I've been screwed by relying on their information before. You'd be better off throwing that money at a mechanic to give it a once over.

I'm going to go middle of the road.

There is way more than what he's charging in add-ons there, and i'd pay that for it without a blink.

It *has* been wheeled hard, but all the right parts are on it, and as often as not that means the guy who owned it before took care of it -after all, if he was willing to push it that hard, he wanted to know he was going to get home again.

But, you are saying its your only car. That can be scary too. I'd offer 4k for it, sell your current, drive it gentle and pinch pennies. In a few months buy a beat up used civic for $1,200 and have that as a daily driver - even if you decide to drive the jeep every day (I get in my DD 3-4 times a year), you have another car there if the jeep breaks down.

That jeep has the potential to do really, really well for you - but as has been said, what matters most is how the engine and trans work.

Well I say its a deal.

You can buy a non rusted, stock XJ for not much less. So decide if all those mods (many many thousands) are worth knowing, its been used and has dents, etc. My saying is always "Can it be parted out for what I am buying it for?" I think this one would be close. Can't say that about a stocker....

I bought built and built from stock (my current rig) and I could never sell my rig for "cheap" knowing its not been beat and always taken very good care of, but it almost evens out for a buyer cause a deal is a deal, screw a few dents and rust.

The XJ looks like both axles need gone through and new master install kits installed (new seals/bearings) and then I'd change all fluids and start with some sandpaper and get on the surface rust. After that enjoy it.

Last edited:
Back