• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would these 44's fit a cherokee without trimming?

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
96xjeeper said:
Two part question.
Would these Dana 44's fit a cherokee without cutting them to make them fit? If not which ones will? I heard of people putting in F250 Dana 44's are they cutting them or do they bolt in?
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33728&item=2454953468
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33728&item=2454953468

The width is perfect, but they are passenger side drops, so you would need to run a t-case with a passenger drop (i.e. Dana 300). More work than it is worth. D44's that will work without trimming (@ stock width, or close to) are early bronco - you want 76-77 for disc brakes; and early 80's full size wagoneer. EB will be 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern while waggy will be 6 on 5.5.

Lots of guys here using full size ford axles, some cut, some run full width - you call.

So for the front I would need new Tcase but the rear should bolt right up? well with minimul mods? and the full size waggy 44's will fit? I thought they were wider?

any stock D44 (real D44s, Rubi's don't count) will take quite a bit of fabrication to get it to work under the front of an XJ. you either need to make control arm and coil mounts on the axle or change the XJ to leafs up front.

Waggy D44s are generally 61.5 up front and 59 in the rear, though there is some variation. Stock XJ is ~60, so they match nicely. 1980 Waggys and up are driver's side diffs, and there is a weird vacuum disconect thing to avoid around '83-84.

The rear scout 44 is easy - in fact I'm running one. you will need 1-1 1/4 inch spacers (www.performancetire.com) to bring it to width (Scout II is stock 58" wms to wms), and you will need to weld on some new spring perches as Scouts are SUA stock. Scouts could be geared 3.54,3.73, or 4.10, so if you're lucky you'll find one that suits you. Many have factory trac-loks. I did a disc brake conversion, but the stock 11" drums are pretty powerful if you can find the parts.

Back