• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Working From Home?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone work from home? What are your experiences like? My GF is off every Friday and is always asking about ways to earn more money on her day off. I am also interested in this because I have read where people really do this and make a good living off of it. I understand that 99% of ads are scams, but I do know of some legit companies that offer work at home positions....My job that I currently have is not going the way I wanted it to and I am honestly just exhausted of it. I love talking to customers and love typing on the computer and I think I would be really good at it. I know this is not a sure fire way to become rich but I would like to dig deeper into it and do some research.

Just wanted to get some input on it....

I work from home. Its lonely.

prepare accordingly.

Hear some consumer review sites are good.

Otherwise if it sounds too good to be true, ALMOST always is wrong.

I know a few people who work from home.It's harder and takes more dedication then regular job-site working. If you've got the temperament and dedication, it can work.

I know a few people who work from home.It's harder and takes more dedication then regular job-site working. If you've got the temperament and dedication, it can work.

Bang on - I've worked from home (Idaho) for my employer (Massachusetts) for the last 11 years

It is not hard as long as you have focus - I'm a computer language programmer that also does technical support for the customers that need programming assistance.

So I can always find busy work if I want it - but my boss who is the President of the company has the attitude - "As long as your there when the customers (or company) call - I don't care what you do in the "quite" times.

The real issue is the wife. She does not understand why I don;t clean the house or do the dishes or "X"
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
It pisses her off that I'm not the house slave in my non-work time at work - my reply is in YOUR free time at work do you drive home start the washing machine then drive back to work.

NO she doesn't but in the same token does not understand WHY I don't do them. For me I am able to compartmentalize my time and work.

Between 6am Mt Std (8 am Eastern) and 3pm Mt / 5 Est I am mentally in Massachusetts - it works for me.

Plus my commute is 20' down a carpeted hallway over 2 sweet Black labs!

Last edited:
I work from home and have for the last 6 years. I love every minute of it. I am part of a company though so I have contact via phone quite often with co-workers and clients so I do have some adult contact during the day.

I like it because it is flexible. If I need to run upstairs to put in a load of laundry, I can. If I need to leave a few minutes early, no one knows the difference.

I like being able to make a 30 second commute in the morning. No driving equals low fuel consuption equals more money...I average between 6000-7000 miles on my ZJ each year. I'm on track for about 6300 this year. Last year I only put in 13 tanks of gas.

I like getting up at 6:45 am and being at my desk by 7:00.

I like being able to go into work in a t-shirt and shorts each day.

I like having lunch with my wife and daughters each day.

I like having my dog sleep under my desk while I work.

I like being able to play a radio at my desk without people complaining about having to hear Merle Haggard again.

I like not having the distractions of 50 or 60 other people on the telephone or jabbering away in the background.

That said, I will echo tbburg, though. It does take dedication. You need to be motivated to work, you need to be able to set yourself a schedule and stick to it (I am in at 7, eat from 11-12, and out at 4 every day) regardless of how nice it is outside, or how unmotivated you feel. It is certainly not for everyone. But those that can work under those conditions can thrive. When I have to go to the corporate office in Chicago I don't get jack done because it is too noisy and too unfamiliar. I don't believe I could ever go back to an office enviroment.

The people that work in our corporate office often complain about having to be in an office...having to dress up each day, having to commute, having superiors in constant moderation. In my opinion I have it good! :clap:

Yep its for some, not for others. I tried online classes once and never again. I just did NOT have the dedication to sit in front of a computer and complete tasks.
Now i know thats not exactly the same thing as i was not performing work for pay. Same concept though. If you cant keep from being distracted by things like television or wrenching on your jeep in the garage instead of doing whatever it is you ought to be doing it would be tough. Although a lot of phone- adult-service providers have been doing it or years it would seem ;P

If you cant keep from being distracted by things like...wrenching on your jeep in the garage...it would be tough.

My XJ sits 12 feet from my office door. About once a week I will wrench on it during my work day. Here is how I justify that. I don't smoke so I don't get my 15 minutes outside every couple hours. I don't have other employees sitting next to me to talk nonsense or swapping jokes with every morning wasting work time. So I take 10 minutes here or there during a day to step away from my monitor and focus my attention on something else. Even with a short 15 minute wrenchfest in the middle of a Wednesday, I am probably more productive than most people in my office that sit at their desk for 8 straight hours.

I knew someone that ran his own business and did it from home, it was a disaster for him. He had no dedication to working during the day and ended up behind on all his projects. He would then be in a major crush to get things done the night before they were due. For him it was to easy not going to a job to then just feel like he had free time all day to wander around and do whatever and his family acted the same way taking over his time also.

It certain is doable as mentioned but takes the right person and household. Not to mention avoiding all the work at home too good to be true schemes out there.

Back