• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ T-case question

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
T-case failing on me...

Long time no see - largely on the basis that I've not done much maintenance for a while and moved on to a WJ for a fair time ago... Sorry that it's not strictly XJ-related, but NAGCA are a POS and as much use as a chocolate fireguard for advice (RichP excepted), so I decided to revisit my jeeping roots and get some info from those I have come to respect...

I've now got a 4.7 V8 WJ (99-00) which is not very well, and needs your help.

Basically I've noticed that there's been a slow drip of oil from my T case over the past few months. The transmission has always rattled away like a bag of marbles and now is making some strange noises, very much like I'm driving over dry leaves when going around a corner. I had assumed bearing trouble, but I looked under last night and saw bubbles coming from the seam in the T-case, about halfway up, so I assume there's been a failure of the seal.

What would be the cause, and what would be the treatment? Would it be a case of pulling, cleaning and resealing, or should I just swap in a new one? I have a 4.0 WJ donor that I can pull the tcase from, so that's an option.

TIA

Last edited:
Back