• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Steering Pump - loud and frothy

Well that's kinda what I'm thinking here. I have low speed (idle) steering issues. It's really hard to steer, but as soon as I rev the engine it's fine. I bought a new WJ pump, but after extensive research I've basically come to the conclusion its the same pump with a different reservoir, and different flow valve, because you have to swap flow valves anyway all you're basically doing is making more work for yourself for nothing.

I have a '04 WJ pump and I just swapped out for a '96 box over the weekend, steering is now perfect.

This on a '88 MJ with a 2.5

Don't know what everyone's problem is?

I guess I left this a little foggy, but my current pump (original) not the WJ pump is weak at idle. I haven't installed the WJ pump yet, and I'm thinking about just taking it back, and getting an XJ pump, or even getting a rebuild kit, and just rebuilding mine.

I guess I left this a little foggy, but my current pump (original) not the WJ pump is weak at idle. I haven't installed the WJ pump yet, and I'm thinking about just taking it back, and getting an XJ pump, or even getting a rebuild kit, and just rebuilding mine.

The only benefit, I'm aware of, for using the WJ pump is for the Durango box upgrade. Simply because of the larger piston and needing the pump to keep up with the volume. My understanding is since the WJ is a higher volume pump it's needed for the swap. Past that I wouldn't swap in a WJ pump with a stock box, doubt it provides you any added benefit.

The only benefit, I'm aware of, for using the WJ pump is for the Durango box upgrade. Simply because of the larger piston and needing the pump to keep up with the volume. My understanding is since the WJ is a higher volume pump it's needed for the swap. Past that I wouldn't swap in a WJ pump with a stock box, doubt it provides you any added benefit.

The benefit is getting the newest pump with the lowest miles.

Back