• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knuckle and calipers... can I sand blast them?

xriide

NAXJA Forum User
Just gathering all my parts for the swap and want to clean up the calipers and the knuckles. But what parts do I have to protect?
The knuckles look like I can just go to town on. But for the calipers can I just take them apart and start spraying?

Also, does the media used matter? I have copper slag and play sand.

the knuckles for sure you can blast with anything.

if the calipers have enough rust that you want to blast them you should be tearing them down anyway. rust in the bore will ruin them.

They have what I would call normal amounts of rust on them. I was just thinking if I blast them they will take paint real well.

But I wasn't thinking about any rust in the bore. A rebuild kit is pretty cheap. I would probably be better off tearing them down and soaking in a rust remover instead of blasting them then?

when I did my last brake swap I wire wheeled my calipers and painted them with black engine block paint.

they have held up pretty well for 4 or so years now.

I don't see how sandblasting them would hurt them.

and yes, I always recommend a rebuild kit for calipers that have been sitting around with rust.

Its your brakes

Buy new calipers.

10-4

Jeep calipers are cheap, my 2 year old xj caliper just started leaking after I depressed the cylinder. Buy new, it's not expensive.

X3- I did the WJ swap with junkyard calipers and one of them seized in the applied position after a month, in the middle of nowhere. Before you put a bunch of effort into em, decide if you can pony up for new/reman ones.

Vato zone take in your old calipers get new ones most are like 30 bucks rebuilt.

Ok, new calipers it is.
We don't have Vato Zone in Canada. I wonder if Part Source or bumper to bumper has that deal.
Rock auto looks to be 80 bucks a side plus 35 shipping.

Carquest, advance auto, napa, etc? Any local parts store should have WJ calipers, or can at least order them from.
And FYI Vato zone is a term for Autozone (In case you were not aware)

Carquest, advance auto, napa, etc? Any local parts store should have WJ calipers, or can at least order them from.
And FYI Vato zone is a term for Autozone (In case you were not aware)

Yes, lots will order. Part source wants 160 a side, and has no core refund.
No Autozone here. Bumper to bumper wants 150 a side, no core refund.
I'll phone carquest and napa today.

RockAuto has them as well. I think when I looked a few days ago they were anywhere from $40-$60 a side plus core charge. I don't know how the core charge works with RA though.

Bumper to Bumper local for 83 a side after core return. So not bad. I will do that for sure.

I was looking at rockauto since I use them a lot. But they want me to ship mine back, and the cost crossing the boarder just makes that option too expensive. 32 dollar core charge though if you are wondering.

03 grand cherokee calipers right? lol.

Back