• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wireless electricity

kind of. They are broadcasting the energy sure, but the demonstration in the other video is still the radiated energy variety I think. It did not appear to have any sort of a visual receiver or transmission device, which I would expect to at least see featured in a demo like that.

It's actually against the law in Illinois, Calif and NY. Back in the 60's some enterprising individuals put up some antenna's and and were using AM radio stations to power their homes.The guy south of Chicago got away with it till the FCC mapped the dead zone cone down stream of him and tracked it back to his house. This was back when AM stations were putting out 50-100K watts and more.

Yeah, I heard that toothbrush had the "wireless charging" and I guess that the new Palm Pre will have it as well. Not sure on the range, or if it will make it into the final production phone... but I believe it was used in the model recently showed. I mean technically because of induction you could sit below high tension wires with a simple circuit and "steal" power from the energy lost through the electromagnetic field... At least in theory it works that you could, just isn't efficient enough. Now over the years people have tried to decrease the power lost through "line loss" and therefore decrease the field generated, but if you applied reverse logic to that you could technically increase the field and power stuff through induction... The issue they run into now is doing this efficently enough to make it worthwhile. Thats the reason the toothbrush still had a cradle (if I am thinking of the correct unit). They could do it at close range so there were not terminals to get wet/cause a short, but at longer ranges the power was dispersed too much to charge the unit. Unlike, say, a wifi network which can broadcast everywhere and selectively choose where the information and bandwidth is going, wireless power cannot say "ill send info (power) here", and instead broadcasts everywhere... which is more wasteful/inneficient than it is convenient.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong. It's been a long day. Maybe I am just making stuff up here. :D

Back