• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipers vs. Radio

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
88 MJ Pioneer, 5 speed, 4.0, 4x4

Are the wipers and the radio on the same circuit?? They both took a dump on me at the same time. The circuit breaker for the wipers tested fine...is there a fuse??

Also the "PART TIME' light is on when it's not in 4x, and goes off when I put it IN 4x.

Still a work in progress

did you use a volt meter at the fuse locations. they do share the same output of the ignition switch and are fed to the fuse block on a brown wire. hope that helps. so it could potentially be the ignition switch.

Sounds like you lost a ground and it's grounding through the gauge cluster.

As for the 4x light. Unless the front axle has been swapped, you have the disco-d30. Which means that the light is activated by vacuum. Look under your vehicle. On the driverside should be a rubber connector that plugs into 2 vac lines on the axle. Make sure that is plugged in, and also check other vac connections.

You also have a 5-speed, and a clutch master cylinder that likes to leak down the pushrod and onto the back of the fuseblock. Take a VERY good look at the fuses and the condition of that fuseblock. On my '89, the brake fluid ended up rotting the plastic away, and I had a number of odd electrical issues that resulted.

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

did you use a volt meter at the fuse locations. they do share the same output of the ignition switch and are fed to the fuse block on a brown wire. hope that helps. so it could potentially be the ignition switch.

I'm leaning towards ign. switch. I've had a few gremlins that poit to the switch. No, I didn't check anything with a meter yet. Pouring rain today.

Sounds like you lost a ground and it's grounding through the gauge cluster.

Which might have happened with the switch going south, not altogether, just that feed.:dunno:

Also the "PART TIME' light is on when it's not in 4x, and goes off when I put it IN 4x.

Still a work in progress
Check that your vacuum lines are connected properly to the 4wd indicator switch, passenger side under the coolant tank, follow the vacuum harness from the CAD motor on the axle.

You also have a 5-speed, and a clutch master cylinder that likes to leak down the pushrod and onto the back of the fuseblock. Take a VERY good look at the fuses and the condition of that fuseblock. On my '89, the brake fluid ended up rotting the plastic away, and I had a number of odd electrical issues that resulted.

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

This is a very good possibility. Pull the fuse block and look behind there, you'll find a number of jumper wires on the back half of the fuse block that jump 12V from one fuse to another. AMC wiring is a disaster.
Also, if yours was an early production 88 you'll have the C101 connector at the firewall behind the fuse block. If it's not been done you need to take that apart, clean thoroughly, repack with dielectric grease and then SECURELY tighten that center bolt. I think spec was something like 19 ft lbs, I go with the good and tight spec, just don't crack the plastic.
You'll also want to check the grounds, and disconnect the wiper intermittent box. It's under the lower dash fascia, above your left knee. The two ends of the harness will plug into each other, allowing you to bypass the intermittent module and have just hi/low wipers.

This sounds real familiar. In fact, I had this happen yesterday.

Check to make sure your grounds are not coming loose from the left inner fender (might be a different location on a RENIX, not sure.)

do your HVAC blower and cruise control also flake out at the same time?

Sounds similar to a problem I had with my first renix. I lost my wipers, radio and heat on a wheeling trip in the pouring rain... couldn't figure it out for months. Turned out it was the place on the back of the steering column where the rods from the ignition hit the panel. Board was fried. Replaced and I had wipers and heat back. If memory serves me right it's 2 bolts under the dash to drop the steering column down to check it.

Pull the fuse block and look behind there, you'll find a number of jumper wires on the back half of the fuse block that jump 12V from one fuse to another. AMC wiring is a disaster.
I'm dealing with the same problem, the brown wire from ignition to fuse block has 12v, but the fuse holders for the blower and turn/bu are not getting power. Weird thing is I think the radio is on the same circuit and it has 12v.

How hard is it to disassemble and work on the fuse block itself?

Thanks.

I'm dealing with the same problem, the brown wire from ignition to fuse block has 12v, but the fuse holders for the blower and turn/bu are not getting power. Weird thing is I think the radio is on the same circuit and it has 12v.

How hard is it to disassemble and work on the fuse block itself?

Thanks.

it doesn't really come apart, just unbolt it from the body and you can pull it out a few inches and have a look.

Back