• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winterfest 2012 was great, but...

mine fell off the roof one time on revs run, i looked behind me and brad had his mounted on his hood. i put it there instead just for the day and it never moved again. mag mount worked all day long and i didnt have to tune anything.

Lets just hire a group of midgets to run up and down the hill to tell us when its clear.

I ripped my antenna mount off but that's because I forgot to bore a hole in the new bumper before mounting it, so I said screw it and welded a tab hanging off the side on so I could get on the trail instead of wasting another hour removing the bumper to drill a hole. It was working just fine till the tubes did it in...

Don't have any FRS radios but they are cheap enough, if we go to them next year I'll grab one. GMRS requires a license to be fully legit IIRC, so I'd suggest FRS.

I use the mag mount and was able to communicate with my Gunners without a problem. Maybe we should just encourage mag mount antennas rather than bolt on units. Or, as Xin said, a handheld CB worked well for him.

BOB

mine fell off the roof one time on revs run, i looked behind me and brad had his mounted on his hood. i put it there instead just for the day and it never moved again. mag mount worked all day long and i didnt have to tune anything.

I'm glad it worked for you, mine stays put better on the hood but Molly or I still had to get out about a dozen times and put it back on. It's interesting when I'm taking a bad line just to avoid branches hitting my antenna. Next time I might supplement the magnetic base with a mess of electrical tape.

We MAY look into FRS, but that will be a ways off. I will run a test at the next few events.

Rev

Since the radios are relatively inexpensive, I'd be happy to pick up a couple if we want to try them at Redbird.

I have four or five of the FRS. I even have a base one for the truck with a mag mount antenna. When we were doing a lot of event with Superlift and some other things at the Badlands we used them all the time.

We still use them for competitions with Rosco Racin. We used to have our crew go all over at the XRRA and watch lines so that the obstacle could be relayed to the driver before his run in case he didn't have a chance to observe the line.

They are really cheap now days and work really well.

mac 'just no where to clip them' gyvr

Tara and I meant to bring our FSR's to WF but then thought we swould not use them. Ours have some pretty good range to them also. I will make sure to bring them to the next event....redbird....that said i am re-doing my whole CB setup it really let me down this year.

Migets.....best idea i have heard....

John

Issues with CB's happen, Mine worked fine before I left home but I knocked the ground wire loose. We of course want a properly working CB in all vehicles but things happen, I still think we should rely on CB but we can try the handheld jobbies at Redbird like Brad said.

I am sure it is a expense the chapter can cover... we just need to make sure the little people don't wear camouflage otherwise we might lose them.

My mag mount kept getting knocked off too. So I just crudely zip tied it to one of the cross bars on the roof, and it stayed put the rest of the weekend. I'm not sure I would like the FRS GRMS idea. FRS radio quality varies so wildly that I think it'd just be a PIA to try to use in a off road setting. Not to mention the amount of interference opertunities effected by them. GRMS works pretty decent, but alas you need a license to legally run one. Personally myself I would choose GRMS, over the FRS, but not all would be willing to want to pay for the license.

Back