• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wiper question

DaveB

NAXJA Forum User
On my current project (84 cj8) I am putting in a 93 XJ steering column so that I can have the wipers, washer, lights, and cruise controls on the column rather than on the dash and floor where the cj has them. I have been able to get everything to work except the delay wipers. The trouble I am having comes from the fact that the cj wiper motor does not ground out the wiper park wire when it is in the park position. The xj wipers have a ground wiper inside the motor that grounds the line in park. The cj wiper lets the park line float in park (not hooked to anything). The ground signal is used to turn off the wiper relay in the delayed wiper module when the wipers go to the parked position. If I use the cj wiper motor the delayed wiper position never turns off. I have tried tying a resistor to ground on the park line and the relay will turn off but the relay stutters to a stop (multiple openings and closings) which can't be good for the relay contacts. I have tried to see if I can retrofit the xj wiper onto the cj but if I do the dash pad won't fit right since the motor is bigger. So does anyone have any ideas ? does a YJ wiper motor have the grounded park position and are the motors the same size as a cj motor ?

Thanks,
Dave

Simplest way would seem to be use the XJ motor with a modified dash pad. There may be other ways, but it seems like they would probably involve modifying the motor or switch or both.

I found the answer and part of it was right under my nose. The delay module said that it was for XJ and YJ only so I knew that the YJ wrangler motor would work with the module but I wasn't sure if it would fit. It turns out that the YJ wiper motor is exactly the same size as the CJ motor, same bolt pattern and has the grounded park signal that I need. Now I need to find a used one since the dealer wanted a lot for one.
Dave

Came across your old posting re: CJ /YJ wiper motor delay. I had a quick question since I am doing something similar.

I too am working on an 84CJ I'm using the YJ motor but want to set-up my delay on the dash. I have the delay module 9YJ/XJ, but I do not know the value of the pot that the column type control uses ?

Any ideas /help ?

Thanks

Back