• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windows 7 questions

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running it? Have any experience with it? I may be upgrading to it because the XP Pro I got to install on my new hard drive turned out to be counterfeit. I've started on the path to getting a free legit license thru Microsoft, but I can also get a brand new Windows for $15. Didn't know bout it til after getting the fake one. And before anyone asks, no I cannot hook you up. I can only get one, and if I do, it'll be for me. :D

My computer is at 1.8GHz w/AMD Turion (single core), 512 MB of RAM (1Gig is on the way from NEwegg, to put me at 1.5 Gig), brand new 160 GB 5400 rpm HD. As far as I've found from the Windows 7 comatibility adviser, I will meet the requirements once the new RAM is installed. Requirements are 1.0 GHz processor, 1 Gig RAM, 20 GB free HD space.

What video card does your machine have? You are likely to be extremely unhappy if you install Vista/7 on something with a video card toward the lower end of the minimum specs.

It will run like a dog with specs like that. You will probably have to disable all the visual effects to get the performance you are looking for.

Anyone running it? Have any experience with it? I may be upgrading to it because the XP Pro I got to install on my new hard drive turned out to be counterfeit. I've started on the path to getting a free legit license thru Microsoft, but I can also get a brand new Windows for $15. Didn't know bout it til after getting the fake one. And before anyone asks, no I cannot hook you up. I can only get one, and if I do, it'll be for me. :D

My computer is at 1.8GHz w/AMD Turion (single core), 512 MB of RAM (1Gig is on the way from NEwegg, to put me at 1.5 Gig), brand new 160 GB 5400 rpm HD. As far as I've found from the Windows 7 comatibility adviser, I will meet the requirements once the new RAM is installed. Requirements are 1.0 GHz processor, 1 Gig RAM, 20 GB free HD space.
If you need a good XP Pro Lic, PM me.

I've seen it work ok on older machines it’s much better on slow machines than Vista. Because of your limited ram get the 32bit. A lot of older hardware will be supported without installing a driver. The computer will work fine for internet email and documents don't expect much from things like iTunes or videos. There is always a chance you may not find a driver for something but for $15. I just heard some military deal today $10 for up to 5 copies.

For people who have not used Windows 7 its Vista with some minor upgrades. Microsoft did the same thing when XP came out. XP is Windows 2000 with minor upgrades.

XP is 2000 with some turd polishing added... or as a friend of mine says "s**t and glitter". I mostly turn off the glitter because I don't like it, leaving me with... yeah.

If I have to run windows I'll run 2k anyday. My work machine runs XP, my EPROM burner host will run win2k when I get it going again, and everything else will always run FreeBSD.

XP is 2000 with some turd polishing added... or as a friend of mine says "s**t and glitter". I mostly turn off the glitter because I don't like it, leaving me with... yeah.

If I have to run windows I'll run 2k anyday. My work machine runs XP, my EPROM burner host will run win2k when I get it going again, and everything else will always run FreeBSD.

Xp has directx 9 support > 2000 directx8.1

I honestly wouldn't bother with windows 7 and those specs. Yes it will run ok, but you won't see many advantages over XP. Then only reason I moved to 7 was for DirectX 11 and 64bit support. You don't have the video card or the ram to need either of those.

For people who have not used Windows 7 its Vista with some minor upgrades.

Kinda, it is very similar to Vista service release 2, but very different from origional vista. The second service release of vista was almost a complete rebuild using the server 2007 Kernel.

I'm a 10 kinda guy right now. I need a new mobo and more RAM before going to W7.

I new new ram also my current ram is not stable at it's rated speed, next check I'm having 8gigs of ddr2 1200 shipped and tosing out the POS 1066 crap I have.

i'm very impressed with 7 so far, even though I have the option I have not booted into my XP drive since the install on launch day.

I new new ram also my current ram is not stable at it's rated speed, next check I'm having 8gigs of ddr2 1200 shipped and tosing out the POS 1066 crap I have.

i'm very impressed with 7 so far, even though I have the option I have not booted into my XP drive since the install on launch day.

I'm on Vista Biz right now, been on it since the launch. I have 2GB RAM now...and only two slots. This mobo only supports 2GB total anyway. :doh: I think the next upgrade will be a mobo, processor, and a lot more memory (and Win 7, hopefully).

How hard is it to swap a motherboard in a laptop? Mine will take up to 2 gigs, also 2 slots. Depending, it may be cheaper when the time comes to put a new motherboard in this case than to buy a whole new laptop. Unless I can't replace the keyboard. :D

How hard is it to swap a motherboard in a laptop? Mine will take up to 2 gigs, also 2 slots. Depending, it may be cheaper when the time comes to put a new motherboard in this case than to buy a whole new laptop. Unless I can't replace the keyboard. :D

No go, pretty much you'll be able to replace the Mb with the same MB. Laptops suck for upgrade-ability, there is no real board size standard so sizes and shapes change.

Back