• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch one?

synthetic is better for more frequent use but also is easier damaged. I just snapped my cable line and am gonna replace it with sythetic since in the areas i wheel the rope isn't gonna see anything to abrasive.

WVUwheeler said:
synthetic is better for more frequent use but also is easier damaged. I just snapped my cable line and am gonna replace it with sythetic since in the areas i wheel the rope isn't gonna see anything to abrasive.

Abrasion of synthetic line is not as much of an issue as many would think. It's used in the logging industry in applications that cause 3/8" line to look like a sheep on a Van de Graaf, but it maintains its strength just the same.

It will 'cut' however, and having a slip-fitted anti-abrasion sleeve solves that problem nicely.

The safety factor for synthetic (never mind weight, ease of use, flexibility, the fact that it floats, etc) is the kicker for me. I don't worry nearly as much about the pontential death of my fellow wheelers, or their kids, with the synthetic.

Definitely budget for synthetic line. A group in my club got together an bought a whole spool of Amsteel Blue at wholesale (or a little better). Once divided up, I got 130' of 5/16" for $150. It is more expensive than wire rope, but the benefits far outweigh the cost - especially if you have kids.

I prefer an aluminum hawse for approach angle - but ran a roller fairlead with wire rope for a few years without much problem....you learn to mount one tire first to get the roller fairlead up and away from the obstacle.

My experiance has been this: I broke steel cable winch lines twice. My new superwinch 9k allready has meat hook cable frays in it that will cut you quick. I've allways had a roller but I would never pay extra for one over a hawse because they seem to slide the cable in as good as a roller. They are smaller/lighter and tuck out of the way better than a roller. I'm gonna switch to synthetic probabley when that dam steel cable cuts me or breaks again or when me or the wife don't have the strenght to lug that heavy steel cable up another hill. Any body have a good source for heat resistant synthetic or has any body seen the new plastic type hawse fairleads being used?

Stumpalump said:
My experiance has been this: I broke steel cable winch lines twice. My new superwinch 9k allready has meat hook cable frays in it that will cut you quick. I've allways had a roller but I would never pay extra for one over a hawse because they seem to slide the cable in as good as a roller. They are smaller/lighter and tuck out of the way better than a roller. I'm gonna switch to synthetic probabley when that dam steel cable cuts me or breaks again or when me or the wife don't have the strenght to lug that heavy steel cable up another hill. Any body have a good source for heat resistant synthetic or has any body seen the new plastic type hawse fairleads being used?[/quote]

www.winchline.com

And I think the new "plastic" type fairleads are made of Delrin... like cutting boards, etc... They're a little lighter than the aluminum ones but I've only seen them in black.

Chris

do a 8274-50. it holds 150' of rope/cable has a really fast line speed and you can use a hanson mount to do it with! I bought mine from guy on here, completely rebuilt it and have rope on it and have spent less than a grand. you dont ever have to worry bout heat with it, because the brake is outside of the drum, and unlike planetary style your not powering out againt the brake every time. ill look for a pic of mine.

Oh and one last thing. how many winchs do you ever want to buy? Then get the best possible one you can the first time, no money wasted that way!

uncc civilengineer said:
Stumpalump said:
My experiance has been this: I broke steel cable winch lines twice. My new superwinch 9k allready has meat hook cable frays in it that will cut you quick. I've allways had a roller but I would never pay extra for one over a hawse because they seem to slide the cable in as good as a roller. They are smaller/lighter and tuck out of the way better than a roller. I'm gonna switch to synthetic probabley when that dam steel cable cuts me or breaks again or when me or the wife don't have the strenght to lug that heavy steel cable up another hill. Any body have a good source for heat resistant synthetic or has any body seen the new plastic type hawse fairleads being used?[/quote]

www.winchline.com

And I think the new "plastic" type fairleads are made of Delrin... like cutting boards, etc... They're a little lighter than the aluminum ones but I've only seen them in black.

Chris

Thanks for the link. They sell the Superwinch I have and they said it has an external break so I can get away with regular synthetic line. It's seems REAL hard to pull the cable out on that winch compaired to Ramsey or Warn. Anybody else notice that on the new Superwinch?

Stumpalump said:
uncc civilengineer said:
Thanks for the link. They sell the Superwinch I have and they said it has an external break so I can get away with regular synthetic line. It's seems REAL hard to pull the cable out on that winch compaired to Ramsey or Warn. Anybody else notice that on the new Superwinch?

How long have you had it? And, did you "pre tension it" or whatever? By loading it up as you spool it in.... I made the mistake of not loading the line much when I first got my winch... and after a short pull the next time I tried to use it the line would barely spool out...

I took it all out and loaded it up some as I spooled it in and have never had a problem again.. Synthetic is much nicer to work with.

Also, I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the winch will only heat up if your spooling out under load... or just spooling the winch out with the remote (not free spooling). I thought that's how they operated and it wouldnt get hot spooling it in? Am I wrong?

We were concerned about the heating issue when considering going over to synthetic. We tried 9 ways to Sunday to try to getthe drum of an M8000 to heat up.

Only way was when the brake is engaged: when you're winching backwards (out), under load - so the brake is forced against the drum. It's so seldom that you'd ever have to sling yourself down from something, and if you did it would be a short re-positioning move, that we weren't concerned about any heat issues.

uncc civilengineer said:
Stumpalump said:
How long have you had it? And, did you "pre tension it" or whatever? By loading it up as you spool it in.... I made the mistake of not loading the line much when I first got my winch... and after a short pull the next time I tried to use it the line would barely spool out...

I took it all out and loaded it up some as I spooled it in and have never had a problem again.. Synthetic is much nicer to work with.

Also, I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the winch will only heat up if your spooling out under load... or just spooling the winch out with the remote (not free spooling). I thought that's how they operated and it wouldnt get hot spooling it in? Am I wrong?
It's real important to stretch your cable out and wrap it tight or you can also kink up the cable. Hell it don't matter what you do or how you take care of a cable they all get bent up kinked and frayed with time. Even with cable spooled on tight it dosn't freewheel worth a darn and you have to pull it hard enough that it makes it a pain lugging the cable up a hill while fighting the drum resistance. Besides a couple of long break in cable streching pulls I only have a few short pulls on this winch and am hoping it just breaks in and freewheels easier. It seemed like the best bang for the buck and if you ever have a warn, ramsey and superwinch apart the superwinch is built the stongest. But It won't freewheel easy.

No one has mentioned the winch I have which is the MileMarker. I think it will continue to stay cooler than the Warns I have had experience with. I have not had the MileMarker for very long but have been happy so far. Picked it for two reasons. First it is the brand used by the military on all their Hummers and other light duty rigs. Secondly I got more for the money, Bought a 12,000 lb winch for $499.00 plus $49.00 Shipping so $548 to my door.

if you can I would make a custom bumper then get an 8274-50, best winch on the market hands down, but a little difficult to mount on an XJ since no one makes bolt on bumpers that will work with them for the XJ.

If your going with an after market bolt on bumper then I would get am M8000 with 100' of cable. Roller/Hawse run what ever it comes with, but consider replacing the side pins on a roller fairlead with bolts to make it last longer, in my experience the reason most rollers fail is the cheap pins used. If it comes with a roller and you don't like it, you can always switch to a hawse fairly cheaply.

Same for Cable/Synthetic, my 8274-50 came with a cable and so that is what I will run for now. When time comes to replace it I will consider a rope, but I don't think it's worth replacing a perfectly good cable for.

Back