• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch line

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I picked up a winch used off a club member and in using it last winter the drum connector broke off . While pulling the line out I realized the line had had it. I want to replace it with synthetic but just how crazy expensive is it? I did some searching and found they range from $200+ for 100 ft. How much line do I really need in the winch? I wa sunder the impression I should have about 150ft so I can run 10 out but saw prices at $500. What is a mid range synthetic line go for or am I just better off getting new steel if it is that much cheaper? Wallet is tight especially with NACFest around the corner.

Hopefully you can get a steel one cheap off someone converting to synthetic.
As far as capacity, it depends on the type/size of the winch. Most modern winches are 100' capacity.

What do you mean by run 10 out?

sorry that meant 100 out. I know your supposed to keep line on the spool because it is holding itself on the spool. What does a steel line go for compared to synthetic for 100 feet? Is it night and day difference? I may be cheap but when it comes to important things I prefer to spend more when needed.

Synthetic will always be safer however more expensive. Not THAT expensive compared to steel but always more. Personally I wouldn't cheap out.

only downfall to synthetic line is is can cut easily when winching over rocks- so put down a protective floor mat. Also cable wont melt if it gets near your/someones tail pipe on recovery. Yes synthetic winch line floats, is lighter, and is safer to use, but each have their own advantages.

steel cable scares me. i wheel with my son so i dont wanna take any chances

THIS.

I know your supposed to keep line on the spool because it is holding itself on the spool.

To winch safely you need to leave one full layer of wrap so only a few feet. I think 100' is plenty and is usually all that will fit on a winch drum. If you find yourself needing more length you can always turn your current rope into an extenstion by adding thimbles to both ends or just use tow straps.

I have 100' of 5/16" Master Pull Superline XD on my rig w/ a 50' 3/8" Superline XD extension.

Synthetic is the way to go. Its lightweight and SAFER. As far as getting cut over rope MP sells 3ft rock guards as well, might even come w/ your line, came w/ mine. Just take care of the line, keep it out of the mud as much as possible and it will last you a long time.

This rope would safisfy your needs just fine I would imagine. I know MP offers a 10% discount to MEMBERS for MP product but I'm not sure about Amsteel, check w/ Alex (Ba-Riedo). You can't beat their customer service either.

http://www.amsteelblue.com/item.cfm?itemid=47215

Synthetic is the way to go. Its lightweight and SAFER. As far as getting cut over rope MP sells 3ft rock guards as well, might even come w/ your line, came w/ mine. Just take care of the line, keep it out of the mud as much as possible and it will last you a long time.

This rope would safisfy your needs just fine I would imagine. I know MP offers a 10% discount to MEMBERS for MP product but I'm not sure about Amsteel, check w/ Alex (Ba-Riedo). You can't beat their customer service either.

http://www.amsteelblue.com/item.cfm?itemid=47215

You beat me to all of that... all true.

I have that exact same line but I only have 85 foot of it. I've never needed more than that but I do life in SC with lots of trees around.

Tho, I feel like my winch is almost at capacity with 85ft on it. It's a Smittybilt pos.

Most winches hold 100' as was said earlier, if you need more then grab an extension. The more you pack on a winch the less efficient that it is (like adding bigger tires without re-gearing) so we try to only put 100' or less on a winch.

Now for the rope you have 3 choices essentially with some variants, Amsteel Blue or MP basic, MP Superline, MP Superline XD.

Basic grey/ yellow and Amsteel Blue: Master-Pull basic grey or yellow is a 12 strand Sk75 Dyneema fiber that is created using fibers from the Netherlands. This is the original winch rope and has been imitated by many companies over the years, these imitators are not as strong, durable, or safe to use and often times the ropes come from China where they are made for less money with a less expensive fiber. Our MP basic ropes are rated at 13,000 lbs for the 5/16” or 18,000 lbs for 3/8.” We like to call this our budget series because it won’t break the bank and is a durable product that we stand behind. Amsteel Blue is essentially the same thing with a different rating

Superline: Master-Pull Superline is a unique rope that is unlike any other product offered for the off-road industry. It starts out as a 12 strand basic rope that is heated and stretched, which reduces the overall diameter and increases the strength, creating a smaller rope with a higher strength and better abrasion resistance. These ropes will last longer because they don’t allow grit to penetrate between the fibers which can wear down rope even though you don’t see it. The 5/16” is rated at 21,000 lbs and 3/8” is rated at 26,500 lbs.

Superline XD: Master-Pull Superline XD is our top of the line product; it is the strongest and most durable rope available on the planet today. We rate XD the same as Superline for breaking strength, but the abrasion and wear resistance is much greater. Because of the outer braided cover over the entire rope Superline XD ropes have lasted up over 5 years in a competition event. Even if the cover begins to get fuzzy, the core is still protected and can look virtually undamaged after years of abuse.

There are also heat resistant ropes, but I don't recommend them because they cost more and have been known to break down more easily.

So there are your choices, I have an XD that is somewhere between 5-8 years old and still going strong. Amsteelblue.com is our website where we offer rock bottom prices on real Amsteel Blue (not a knock off brand) and NAXJA members get 10% off anything on MasterPull.com

-Alex

order placed :p I guess I over estimated what I thought I needed. Last I check it was $500 for the rope I looked at. $180 shipped feels much nicer lol

Did you order from AmsteelBlue.com?

-Alex

Nice, we might have shipped that today.

-Alex

Did you get it yet?

-Alex

Not yet, according to my buds dad (had it shipped to his house) it should show up tomorrow. Aparently they order stuff online alot lol this is like my 3rd time my whole life :p I'm sheltered.

Back