• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch cable vs rope

The abrasion shield can be bought at REI, it is just hollow strap.

That is what we have been selling for years as our heat guard, many companies have tried to imitate us and have been marketing that type of cover as a rock or chafe guard. It can be used as a chafe guard but since it is very thin it is easy to cut or destroy it, but since it is cheap you can replace it very easily.

-Alex

i think i'll stick with my steel cable till it's in a little worse shape. the masterpull rope costs more than my jeep is worth. i'm sure it's a great product, but i think i'll stick with what i have for now. i hardly ever need my winch anyway...

Well that isn't a good reason not to have a warranty if you ask me. Aftermarket axle and u-joint company's have life time warranties and those are part I see most likely to break. BUT if you are willing to fix it for FREE if it does ever break that is warranty enough for me.

No one is going to put a warrenty on winch rope or cable. Both are subject to abuse by the user that the mfg has no control over. Winching can be dangerous, and people need to use their heads. I've been on trips where someone got stuck and needed to winch, and when we pulled out their cable I refused to allow it to be used because it was in bad condition, and we pulled another vehicle up to do the winching.

There isn't even an argument for using cable over rope........except for being cheap. Rope is safe, cable can hurt people. Yes, cable can be used safely, but the risk is still there. For a little more money you don't need to subject yourself and your friends to the risk. Rope has been out there for a long time now, and is being used successfully by many wheelers......I'd say the vast majority of hard-core wheelers. It is safe, and it is proven. Just buy it.

Personally, I like the Masterpull Superline the best. Yes, they sponsored me, but I had already bought their winch rope for both my XJ and the buggy after investigating all the ropes that were available. I've seen a couple of winch ropes break, but that's over many years and many rigs winching many times. I've never broken one.

I certainly see the advantages of rope over cable, but I wonder if it should be covered. How does the rope hold up to long term UV exposure?

I certainly see the advantages of rope over cable, but I wonder if it should be covered. How does the rope hold up to long term UV exposure?

The Dyneema fibers themselves are highly resistant to UV exposure (more then most synthetic fibers); the dies that are used to coat the rope will fade though. Dyneema is very hard to color and will has to be coated with a polyurethane dye, instead of being dyed all the way through like other types of ropes. The Superline XD is the best rope if you are going to be exposing your jeep to lots of UV exposure though, the braided cover keeps the inner core of protected from the elements and grit that can work its way between the fibers of a normal 12 strand rope.

-Alex

What pound rating will work for the xj's. I am in need of one and want to do it right the first time. Will 50' Be long enough? Here what I am working with
DSCF0460.jpg

rope. all the way.

no reason to stay with cable.

pick a good brand like masterpull or viking and you'll be set...

Personally I'd cover mine up, since I live in a VERY sunny area, though I know I probably don't need to.

I want to go with the a rope, what poundage and length do you guys recommend?

Whats your budget? If you want the absolute best product on the market today that will last for years and years go with Master-Pull Superline XD, it isn't affected by UV radiation, and is stronger then any other rope it's size.

You can get 100 feet of 5/16ths rope on that winch, or about 85 feet of 3/8ths rope. If you have less wraps on the drum the winch will work more efficiently, so I have been recommending about 85 feet of 5/16ths Superline or Superline XD (rated to 21,000 lbs) to people recently. Then you can also pick up a cheap extension from our odds and ends sale, check in the vendors special offers forum.:compwork:

-Alex

The only advantage steel line seems to have is its durability. I'll keep mine just because I don't really want to replace rope every year or two.

Every year or two? I beat the snot out of the same rope for 4 years, and then gave it to a friend when I parted out my jeep.

Now I run Goatmans old rope which is at LEAST 5 years old, probably more.. and it looks like its new.

I don't know how and where you wheel, but there is a fair chance that either one of us uses our winch a lot more than you will. :)

Every year or two? I beat the snot out of the same rope for 4 years, and then gave it to a friend when I parted out my jeep.

Now I run Goatmans old rope which is at LEAST 5 years old, probably more.. and it looks like its new.

I don't know how and where you wheel, but there is a fair chance that either one of us uses our winch a lot more than you will. :)

It's all in how you use and take care of your equipment, if you can use common sense when you winch you can make a synthetic rope last forever. The last 2 ropes I have taken off my jeep look almost brand new once I clean the dirt and mud off them.

-Alex

Learn to drive :laugh3:

Whats your budget? If you want the absolute best product on the market today that will last for years and years go with Master-Pull Superline XD, it isn't affected by UV radiation, and is stronger then any other rope it's size.

You can get 100 feet of 5/16ths rope on that winch, or about 85 feet of 3/8ths rope. If you have less wraps on the drum the winch will work more efficiently, so I have been recommending about 85 feet of 5/16ths Superline or Superline XD (rated to 21,000 lbs) to people recently. Then you can also pick up a cheap extension from our odds and ends sale, check in the vendors special offers forum.:compwork:

-Alex

Thanks I appreciate the reply. I was looking for something under $200, but if thats not possible I understand.

Back