• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wife's out of town for a few days...

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally got to do some work to my heep.

The plan for today was originally to do ball joints, u joint and t case output shaft and front pinion seals but i found a killer deal on spicer ball joints that I couldn't pass up that won't be here till Wednesday. Oh well.

So instead, I did the seals, the speedo gear, a new vent tube for my front axle, topped up the t case and front axle, and lived the hinges on my rear doors.

My landlords have been complaining about the oil stains on the driveway for a long time and have been making me park way out on the gravel. I'm related to them, so I figured the seals might make a good peace offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then, today, while driving to work, that speedo sensor that I spent so much time on went all kinds of haywire. Anyone know what exactly it means when your speedo dances all around the actual speed, sometimes settling at zero but normally dancing all over between 10 over and 10 under? Is that the sensor, or a poor connection or something else?

Sounds like a poor connection. Lots of times the jacketing on the wiring gets brittle with age and heat, combine that with some tight bends down there, and all kinda hell can break loose.

Yeah. Had to look it up on YouTube to figure out how to get it to sit in correctly.

While it was going crazy today I got under it and checked the sensor to see if it was plugged in all the way, it was. After that it behaved. I guess I'll pull the loom back later on and check the condition of the wires. Maybe put some dielectric grease in the connector just for good measure.

This would be my first guess as well. If you are off by 1/4 turn the speedo gear will make contact here and there until it wears itself out. I learned this the hard way and had to replace the gear.

I caught mine in time when I changed the speedo gear for different sized tires. If you put it in and then rotate clockwise until you feel the pressure and can get the clip settled in the grooves, you'll have found the right position.

Hmm... I'll have to pull it in and check that again. Thanks

How long did it take to eat up the gear? More than a week I hope...

I suppose that if it was as the gear, it would only do it while moving. I was driving it around the farm the other day and when I parked it it was bouncing around between 65 and 85 while sitting still...

Check if your wiring to the speedo sensor is hanging on the exhaust pipe. On my 91 2wd MJ that happened and the speedo freaked out till I fixed it.

And by fixed it I mean I ziptied it up and away from the exhaust and didn't actually fix the melted wire insulation until I pulled the whole drivetrain to do a 4wd swap a year later.

Well, I put some dielectric grease on the speed sensor connector and on the drive home, it was still acting up for the first three miles or so, then settled down and hasn't acted up again. It's been a week now, so I guess that's good enough till it acts up again.

Does the connector end of the sensor spin freely? If so, you should get a new one. I had to replace mine because it was doing the same thing even after I indexed it properly. Would go days or even weeks with it being fine and then it would start up again until I replaced with new.

Well, yes, it does turn, but I wouldn't call it spinning freely. I can turn it, but it's stiff enough to still be in the position I left it in after driving for a week.

Ok, next issue to arise: brakes. My rear brakes don't do anything. Or almost anything anyway. I had my back tires off the ground the other day and put it in gear but when I stepped on the brake pedal, the back tires didn't stop. The brake pedal does not always feel good, sometimes there is about 1.5-2" travel before there is any response. I feel like they are separate issues. Is there a prop valve that is failed somewhere, or is it just a master?

I've been planning to do a couple upgrades to the brakes anyway for a while. Has anyone done the double diaphragm vac booster upgrade for a 91-93? Also want to do a rear disk brake conversion. I hear that the liberty rear disk set up may be the way to go, but what years had the disk brake in the rear on the liberty?

You might just need to adjust the rear brakes. There is a ratcheting mechanism inside, you can adjust it with a screwdriver. Do a quick Google search. It only takes 30 seconds to tighten them up.

Yeah, I've been down the brake adjustment road. Now that I know that they aren't working, I realize that this has been an on going problem for a few years. Since before I moved out here from Colorado. At least once before I thought I had it fixed.

Back