• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wife wants a hand gun

A good friend of mine was badly beaten in his own driveway by three thugs a little over a year ago. He would be dead now if he hadn't been carrying his XD40. Despite three verbal warnings that he had a gun, they continued to hit him, so he drew and fired twice, killing one thug and wounding another. My friend was pretty messed up for quite some time, blaming himself for what happened. A mutual friend who is also a firearms safety instructor was able to help him out. The shooting was declared self-defense and he was not charged with anything.

So Stump, while you may be correct when you say that most will never need to use a gun in self defense, the fact is that a gun saved my friend's life.

Daedalus454 said:
A good friend of mine was badly beaten in his own driveway by three thugs a little over a year ago. He would be dead now if he hadn't been carrying his XD40. Despite three verbal warnings that he had a gun, they continued to hit him, so he drew and fired twice, killing one thug and wounding another. My friend was pretty messed up for quite some time, blaming himself for what happened. A mutual friend who is also a firearms safety instructor was able to help him out. The shooting was declared self-defense and he was not charged with anything.

So Stump, while you may be correct when you say that most will never need to use a gun in self defense, the fact is that a gun saved my friend's life.

Which illustrates a point. You may not ever need a sidearm. However, when you need one - you need one now. You don't need it after a "waiting period," you don't need on after a "background check" - you're going to need it and you're going to need it now. Period. That's the whole purpose of a sidearm (if you need a longarm, the threat is far enough away to not be much of a threat - unless it's similarly armed.)

Three-on-one odds sounds like a clear case of self-defense to me - and I'm glad the courts saw it that way as well. Any idea why the three guys were picking on him?

5-90 said:
Any idea why the three guys were picking on him?
He lived in a low-income neighborhood, and he had just bought a nice new Mazda. They may have been trying to get his car, or they may have just been looking for some "street cred."

Newspaper blurb here:
http://www.adn.com/homicides/story/45430.html

There are more things to be afraid of than thugs. The places I go, I have a very real chance of needing to get food in an emergency. I also run into things that think I taste good, with or without ketchup. Therefore, I always have the proper TOOLS to make sure I get there and back safely. Only a fool would do otherwise...

Kejtar said:
Actually the important point to make here is that the case NEVER made it to court.

I may have misread that - my wife is the legal mind between us. Frankly, it shouldn't have - I simply presumed that it did, and he got a judge with more than a couple of brain cells to rub together (most of the guys on the bench these days don't seem to have an IQ that exceeds their waist size. In metres.)

Geez - this happened in Alaska? At least the "self-defense" ruling makes more sense now. If that had happened down here, it may not have gone that way. Especially here on the West Coast or in New England...

5-90 said:
I may have misread that - my wife is the legal mind between us. Frankly, it shouldn't have - I simply presumed that it did, and he got a judge with more than a couple of brain cells to rub together (most of the guys on the bench these days don't seem to have an IQ that exceeds their waist size. In metres.)
If someone is not charged that means it didn't go past the DA which means no court no judge.
Geez - this happened in Alaska? At least the "self-defense" ruling makes more sense now.
Again there is no ruling since there was no court case:D
If that had happened down here, it may not have gone that way. Especially here on the West Coast or in New England...
Here it'd probably also not make it to criminal courtroom... but I bet $ that it'd end up as a civil case (family of the BG suing).

Stumpalump said:
I like guns but freaks take them personal and actually belive some childmolester is comming to get them. Same folks that belive they will win the lottery. 1 in millions that anybody on this site will actually need a gun to save his life. It just don't happen that often enough to justify them for self defense. If you are such a woose and are afaid of getting beat up then maybe thats your justification but to dream up senerios in your head that makes you carry a gun is insane. The proof is how they freak out when their use or need comes into question.

Dude seriously....watch the news once in a while. People get mugged, raped, molested, murdered, robbed and alot more on a daily basis. Its not 1 in a million that it could happen, its more like 1 in a million that it wont happen too!

What would you have done if you were going to the bank and you saw these kids with the gun pointed at this dude? What would you do if at gun point they ordered you to the bank for some cash? The three with a gun pointed at you watched your movements. Would you hope for the opportunity to blow them away or would you just get the fools some cash and go on? Tuff question because any man would love the oportunity to off those dirtbags me included but can you see the risk vs benifit here. You could wind up dead trying to stop them. You could wind up dead if the dude in the back with the gun pulled the trigger because the dude next to you yelled "he has a gun" when he patted you. You become a big target when you have a gun. Lets say you just saw the robbery in progress and had cover and decided to point your gun and stop the crime. Up walks Kej,an off duty cop,another gun toting semeritan or even a regular cop reponding to the call. First thing they see is you with a gun and guess who will get guns pointed at him? In all the confusion you get shot over 200 bucks of sombody elses money. Even if it was your own money the risk involved with a firearm are not worth your stupid replacable property. Generally thats all they want and not your life. Me I hual mass if I suspect a crime or trouble even if I'm armed. The problem is that we live in a liberal society with liberal leniant penaltys for crime. Criminals have been getting slaped on the wrist for years and their crimes get worse. Vote out the liberal Democraps and make our county safer. The only bonds or tax I will ever vote for is prisons.

Kejtar said:
Again there is no ruling since there was no court case:D

"Ruling" doesn't really mean a judge has to hear it - the DA "ruled" it as self-defence (and properly so,) which is what should have happened.

I still would take issue with the idea of a civil suit brought about - since it would, essentially, be "heirs and assigns benefiting from a criminal action."

And, I don't see how you can pick up "street cred" for three kids picking on one man. One man would get more "street cred," "rep," or whatever you want to call it from handling three assailants - to me, anyhow.

Stumpalump said:
Tuff question because any man would love the oportunity to off those dirtbags me included
And here you are wrong...... it's not about off'ing anyone. At least not for me. Maybe it's for you... but not for me. It's not about off'ing someone..... If you think like that, IMHO you've already lost. The "I'd love to off him" IMHO is what a gun freak thinks. You've labeled us as such, but really it's been you that've been preaching violence the whole time. Self defense and desire to off someone are two different things. Yes, survival instinct will kick in at the moment of threat, and human will change into an animal in a way, but you seem to be a step ahead of the game. Why? You think that makes you a man? You think that gives you an edge? You think that cause you are here and now and lived on the street are better then rest??? Think again.............

5-90 said:
"Ruling" doesn't really mean a judge has to hear it - the DA "ruled" it as self-defence (and properly so,) which is what should have happened.
Well, we're playing semantics, but from what I recall judge and court make a ruling and DA makes a decision.
I still would take issue with the idea of a civil suit brought about - since it would, essentially, be "heirs and assigns benefiting from a criminal action."
hey, I'm with you on that one, but... we live in California.

I'd just like to mention how much better my life is since I put Humpadump on my ignore list. His closeminded drivel and arrogant prattle is just beyond what my colon wants to accept.

Carry on! :D :D

Stumpalump said:
I like guns but freaks take them personal and actually belive some childmolester is comming to get them. Same folks that belive they will win the lottery. 1 in millions that anybody on this site will actually need a gun to save his life. It just don't happen that often enough to justify them for self defense. If you are such a woose and are afaid of getting beat up then maybe thats your justification but to dream up senerios in your head that makes you carry a gun is insane. The proof is how they freak out when their use or need comes into question.

What I posted is actually a true scenario, 9 years old and she pee's and worse through her underwear, she refuses to take her underwear off, even when they're soiled. She has to be held down, to change her underwear.
You figure it out, all knowing, all seeing, the world through my eyes is the way it is, the great decider Stump.
Part of the reason I posted that story was to point out that you pretty much have to expect the unexpected or your just another victim. A liability and not an asset. Being a liability is actually worse than being too arrogant to be effective.
Not freaking out when weapons come into play is one sign of a sociopath. The they wouldn't dare, that can't happen to me attitude, is another sign. Or maybe just somebody in serious denial.
Not being afraid of getting beat, sounds like somebody who has never had there arse seriously beat.
Reality check, My father in law is a child molester, two doors down the father was convicted of molesting his daughter. The manager of the local Roller rink is a child molester, I talked to two of his victims. I could go on. It happens daily in a neighborhood near you. Funny but in the majority of the cases drugs come into play and better than half of them are armed.
I believe you have your mouth open so wide, it covers your eyes. Stump I have a task for you, it's a cure for motion blindness (too much input to process). Find a relatively active street corner and sit there three hours a day for a week. Every evening write a report. Then at the end of the week compare your reports, the detail will increase daily. This is a partial cure for motion blindness or tunnel vision. This will actually help you take the next step to maturity, you seem to have potential and passion. Some people never make the next step.
Question? You are coming to an uncontrolled intersection, do you put your foot on the brake before the intersection or trust your reflexes if something goes wrong. Both is likely the right answer, what's yours.

Stumpalump said:
What would you have done if you were going to the bank and you saw these kids with the gun pointed at this dude? What would you do if at gun point they ordered you to the bank for some cash? The three with a gun pointed at you watched your movements. Would you hope for the opportunity to blow them away or would you just get the fools some cash and go on? You could wind up dead trying to stop them. You could wind up dead if the dude in the back with the gun pulled the trigger because the dude next to you yelled "he has a gun" when he patted you. You become a big target when you have a gun. Lets say you just saw the robbery in progress and had cover and decided to point your gun and stop the crime. Up walks Kej,an off duty cop,another gun toting semeritan or even a regular cop reponding to the call. First thing they see is you with a gun and guess who will get guns pointed at him? In all the confusion you get shot over 200 bucks of sombody elses money. Even if it was your own money the risk involved with a firearm are not worth your stupid replacable property.

Here you go Kej, I simplified so you can respond to the proof that your gun is more harm than good. If you can.

8Mud said:
Question? You are coming to an uncontrolled intersection, do you put your foot on the brake before the intersection or trust your reflexes if something goes wrong. Both is likely the right answer, what's yours.
Hit the brakes...why? Sorry i brought up the molester thing but would a gun have helped stop the stuation or in hindsight does it make you feel better? The poor 9 year old is going to have to get set back straight. Straight as you can get her but if you sugercoat the situation or baby her it will screw her up for life. Counselers can't fix her either but you can try this. Very bluntly tell her you know exacly what happened and that it was wrong and it sucks. You may need to explain birds and bees so she understand the atraction and why he was twisted. Then (the important part) Tell her that none of this is her fault. Nobody blames her for any of it and it is up to her to not let that jerk drag her down any more than he allready has. When she gets it then repeat: It's not your fault. We don't.... or anybody, blame you for any of this because it's not your fault.

Back