• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wife reports ZJ problem

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Wife just called from work and described a problem with our '97 ZJ 5.2L. She says she's got a rattle at idle that sounds like it's coming from under the hood. She says it's pretty loud because she could hear it over the radio.

Search results on NAGCA all kind of point to a Cat. going bad which could easily be the case... 70k mileage. Loaded up my tools in my trusty XJ but just wanted to do a quick post to see if anyone has any ideas based on this limited info. She didn't report any power loss so if it is the cat it hasn't plugged yet.

The ZJ has been pretty problem free so I havn't got a whole lot of experience under the hood like I have with my '88 XJ.

Thanks in advance.

In case anyone wonders what happend...

Water pump was giving up. Skidplates were catching the weeping but the mechanical fan was loose and causing the rattle which gave the problem away.

Back