• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wife hates noise, need a super quiet muffler

witstick

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, i just bought a 98 classic for the wife to drive to work. Well she hates driving it because of all the exhaust droning and noise. It gets really loud at certain throttle settings and speeds. Is there a really quiet muffler that i can buy to get this thing to quiet down, even to O.E.M. levels? Look like muffler and tail pipe were replaced and the tail pipe is alot bigger diameter then what i see on stock 98 cherokees, they look pretty skinny.. Thanks,, Chris.

take it to Midas or go to a JY and pull the complete stock exhaust off a donor. Cheapest ways.

Auto Zone.

Their OEM replacement muffler is made by either Walker or Maremont, good quality, and has a LIFETIME warranty. It costs about $25 or $30. And their stock tailpipe cost $12.50 last time I bought one.

Eagle said:
Auto Zone.

Their OEM replacement muffler is made by either Walker or Maremont, good quality, and has a LIFETIME warranty. It costs about $25 or $30. And their stock tailpipe cost $12.50 last time I bought one.

x2 on that... I've used two of these (AZ Walker OEM replacements) and they are quiet, cheap and IIRC have a lifetime warranty. This may not be a concern for your wife's daily driver, but both of mine died horrible/untimely deaths on my trail rigs. (They were nice & quiet right up until the moment they got crushed and/or torn completely off.)

I just installed a Walker and tail pipe last month. With clamps a cost total of about $50.00. Walker's warranty is only for 1 year now...but for such little money I'm not going to worry about it. Seems quite to me on my '89 Laredo.

Hello.... i was just on the autozone website but i cant figure out which muffler is the one i want. I want stock sound ..o.e.m. performance and what tailpipe? anyone know which muffler i should get? part# ? Thanks...

witstick said:
Hello.... i was just on the autozone website but i cant figure out which muffler is the one i want. I want stock sound ..o.e.m. performance and what tailpipe? anyone know which muffler i should get? part# ? Thanks...
Defender #27624

Back