• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why the sudden jump in gas prices??

The speculators finally figured out they could not rape the US for home heating oil this year so they are making it up for it in gas prices... Thats OK, the more they raise it the less I drive. I'm down to 14 miles per day now vs 125 or so... looking at maybe getting a bike [motorcycle] or an electric car....

I've been thinking of a Quad, you can license them for the street here, no chit.
I'm down to around 7 miles a day, anything over that and somebody else pays. My son, my employer or a customer, anybody but me. Either that or they give me a raise. I'm not absorbing gas costs anymore.
Just a guess, but often the governement fills up the reserves when things look like they could get sticky. Supply and demand. Your paying taxes for the fuel the governement is stockpiling, driving up the cost of your fuel.

All too true, speculation creates the increase or decrease, not actual demand or supply reduction. Gotta figure out how to make a living as a Speculator.........

0 miles per day (excluding weekends). And my wife is down to 10 miles per day on a scooter that gets 80mpg. :D:D:D:D

Midnight Krawler said:
Why the sudden price spike! Because they can and we will pay the price regardless.
exactly, sucks but what can you do.

I'd get a bike if my dad wouldn't have a heart attack every time I left.(had a very bad atv accident)

yeah bikes are so dangerous now with all the traffic ... i have to admit my family got one of those scooters i think 49 cc road legal without needed a liscence or insurance (optional) and it is not as fast as a bike but i get about 90 mpg... i mean it cant hold much and weather can be an issue but after you get over the gayness of it it is kinda fun... it can go 40 mph and 45 tops... this might be a long term solution but people commute so far now a days that driving on the highways presents a problem... there was a show on discovery about MIT students designing future cars to adress this issue of fuel... some of the companies out there are makeing two person helicopter style seating vehcles that move like motor cycles and are really cool... another company works on three wheeled vehicles that move like a bike with an hydraulic actuator that allows the car to lean and pivot on turs and stuff but are looking into the 40+ mpg gallon range... anyways gas here in MS is 2.22

Primarily, I'd say fuel prices keep going up because lynching has become illegal. You start seeing a couple of these execs strung up from trees, and we'll get prices under control.

Granted, that may seem like an extreme "solution," but ruminate on this for a moment - petrochemistry and fuels are the core of the modern economy - either for raw materials, for power and production, or for transportation. Whatever oil prices do, everything else will follow.

Either the people who set the prices are so damn short-sighted that they can't realise this (and should be removed from their offices, forcibly if necessary;) or they do realise this, and don't care or seek to profit from oil prices going up in other arenas as well (in which case, they should be removed from office. Forcibly, if necessary.)

Don't even get me started on the severance packages they get - not only are they paid exhorbitant amounts for doing very nearly nothing while they're "working," but they continue to be paid entirely out of proportion when they stop doing even that little bit.

Kinda like congresscritters.

Fuel prcices jumped because of the Canadians.

explosion at a fuel plant. My town has been up the creek at many stations. Max 40gal per customer at some.

$2.49 a gallon here near Chicago.
lets all bitch about gas prices.
while we drink bottled water,
while we pay huge prices for alcohol
what does a 16oz cup of cafe latte cost ya at Starbucks these days.

c'mon, if we really wanted someone elses oil we'd take it.

just my .02

...BOB

BOB said:

just my .02

...BOB

The only problem i see with your thoughts are all those things you mentioned are OPTIONAL. we don't have to have bottled water,alcohol,or starbucks coffee.If I can't afford fuel for my car( i bought a small cheap car and don't drive the xj as much) I don't make it to work to pay the bills or to my kids' house 30 miles from my house. Having fuel is not an option for me,it is a necessary evil for me:(

8Mud said:
I've been thinking of a Quad, you can license them for the street here, no chit.
I'm down to around 7 miles a day, anything over that and somebody else pays. My son, my employer or a customer, anybody but me. Either that or they give me a raise. I'm not absorbing gas costs anymore.
Just a guess, but often the governement fills up the reserves when things look like they could get sticky. Supply and demand. Your paying taxes for the fuel the governement is stockpiling, driving up the cost of your fuel.

Like one of these?

quad.jpg

Or maybe one of these?

25gummr.jpg

:D

BOB said:

just my .02

...BOB
I have to agree here. And I don't think gasoline can be called a necessity. It may be for some people, but they have chosen there life...nobody is forcing you to live and work far apart.

food, shelter, water, air. Those are necessary, anything else is a blessing. I think people sometimes mix up what is needed with what they have and want. We as a society are extremely lucky to have as much as we do, and it seems a little petty to bitch about gas prices, when we can choose to drive a saturn or a suburban, and most people want the suburban. "I need a big car for my family"....you're family was your choice, deal with it.

(stirring pot) :D

I got a guy at work, bitches about everything.
he keeps his heat in the 50's at home. and, he never uses his a/c in the summer.
his clothes are so old they're back in style for the second time.
he eats frozen pizzas for dinner.
but, he manages to smoke a couple packs of cigarettes a day.:smoker:
go figure.

...BOB

Well there we go. Blame Canada!!!

MoparRobbie said:
Fuel prcices jumped because of the Canadians.

explosion at a fuel plant. My town has been up the creek at many stations. Max 40gal per customer at some.

Good lord, some of you people take any chance you get to spout off your rhetoric. :gee:

I was asking if there had been any specific event/events in the past 2 weeks that may have triggered this.

Gas may not be necessary for the basic survival of the individual but It is a necessity for the society which we have created.

Back